Brand new to sdcc

Midnite

Hello everyone,

I'm sure the dead horse has been beaten enough about this subject but I too need some help.

I'm somewhat familiar with MPLAB as I've used it to recompile code for my MBSID.

Now I'm building a clockbox and want to tweak the software to fit my needs.

The only problem is that I've never used SDCC. I've D/L'd the files and tried to open the sdcc DOS looking file but it dosen't stay open. I'm assuming that's what I need to do to alter the code, but again, I'm lost.

I've tried to use MPLAB to build the new code I've got from the forums but I get source errors.

Any and all help is appreciated!

Could we get a little more info?

You say you've "tried to open the sdcc DOS looking file but it doesn't stay open."  If you mean you tried to run sdcc.exe then that's the expected result.  sdcc.exe is a command line application and you need to tell it what you want to do with command line parameters or it justs prints some helpful (?) information and exits.

You also say you've "tried to use MPLAB to build the new code I've got from the forums but I get source errors. "  What code did you download?  What errors did you get?  We need more info to be of any help.

First off thanks for the response John, I'll try to be more clear.

I downladed and installed sdcc.exe but I'm lost after that. I looked for a program similar to MPLAB but did not find it. I'm a programmer so I really do not know what to look for past that.

The code I got is from the forum topic "clockbox in slave mode".

I'm thinking that it is a modification of main.c so I'm just trying to build a new HEX file with this new code along with changing my encoder types.

I load all the files main.c says to include and I get no source file error.

I obviously am doing something completely wrong.

-M

Heya midnite,

We're now using a free, cross-platform toolchain to build midibox apps - this means, GPUtils, rather than MPLAB; GNU make rather than batch files, etc. nILS' post is right on the money, follow those instructions and it will work :)

Wow, that took a bit more sorting on my own but I think I've got it. After all the installs and path stuff I edit the original code with notepad++, replacing the original file. Call up cmd in run, plug in the text provided along with my app directory hit make, and boom, It works. An altered HEX file that MIOS Studio sends to my core just fine.