Power stays on

Technosoul

So I just wrapped up constructing my CS PCB and then decided to instill LED power light on main PCB. I plugged in the power supply to make sure it lit and all is good except for one thing, the power stays on. I toggle the power switch and power stays on, light stays lit.

Having a difficult time figuring out where I went wrong. Where did I go wrong? Thanks.

BTW...this project is turning out great.

It is possible that the power switch is "not quite right",  but more likely is that the LED is the only load, and the big capacitors in your power supply can keep it lit for a long while after power is removed.

It's easy to tell. Unplug everything from the wall, either use a resistor to discharge all the big capacitors or just go out for a while and let them leak down.

Then hook up your project/LED to the unpowered supply. the LED should be OFF.

Turn the power switch OFF.

Plug the power supply in to the wall, do NOT turn the switch on yet.

If the LED lights up, your switch is not right. IF the LED stays OFF until you turn the switch on, then the switch is working fine.

Who needs a power switch on a MidiBox anyway? Don't you want to keep it on forever?

Have Fun,

LyleHaze

This is the problem... you may have followed instructions for when you are NOT using the parts provided... i.e. where I wrote "If you are choosing not to use the PCB mounted sockets and switch on the base PCB" etc.

Take out the bridges between S1 pins and everything should work.

thanks wilba, mis read, took bridges off, everything is OK. My next phase is installing lcd, ribbon wire and place an order for dual gang pots. Love this thing, its been great.

I did the pots on mine a month or two ago.  I compared 500k audio taper and 100k linear taper.  I preferred the linear taper since they had a more useful range, but YMMV of course. :-)