Success stories with Picstart Plus?

schnogg

Hi!

I'm new here and really psyched about midibox. I've built a core module. In the process, I've had a few firsts:

First time etching my own board

First time using a microchip pic larger than 16 pins

First time trying to load software via MIDI

I do, however, have experience soldering, testing, and buying components (which can be a chore). Which is to say, I know what a good solder joint looks like, and I know how to use a volt meter and to test for continuity.

I've hit a wall with progress. And I'm hoping that someone might be able to point out something that I missed. 

Here's my situation:

I built the midibox core module, went through the voltmeter tests, which showed me the same voltage at all of the points except on IC1, pins 25 and 26 are "5V when nothing is sent". What does that mean? My readings on those are around .3V dc, when everything

When I feed 9v dc from my bench supply to J1, the voltage is 4.9, rather than 5. Does that indicate a problem with the regulator? Or is 10% voltage loss ok? If I put a regulated 5v dc power supply on j2, do I need to desolder/remove the regulator or can I just run a regulated 5vdc feed to it?

I've followed the instructions in the asm file in the picstart plus workaround to burn the pic. I intend on making a few Midibox devices so I have purchased 2 4520 and 2 4620 pics.

I have a Picstart Plus from 2005. I've updated the OS a few times, so I think its current. I've got the Picstart Plus hooked up via RS232 to my Windows XP machine.  I burn 12f629 and 12f683 pics on a daily basis with no problem, so I know that it works in that capacity.

I followed the workarounds for changing the end address from 7fff to fff and burned the mios bootloader to the pic. I tried this with the 4520 and the 4620 pic.

After testing the voltages, they all matched at the test points except for IC2 25,26.

I've hooked up Midi out to the midi in of my keyboard and midi in of the mbhp core modules to the midi out of the keyboard. The keyboard is an m-audio axiom 61 key keyboard. it provides a midi interface via usb. If I plug another keyboard into the midi in port on the axiom keyboard, I see the commands coming from that keyboard.

Then I have mios studio open. I set up the routing according to the instructions. In the input monitor, I see commands and notes from the axiom keyboard, but nothing from the bios bootloader.

Esentially my problem is that either the bootloader is not loaded on the pic becuase of my picstart plus being funny, or the midi interface isn't letting the sysex messages through.

There is, of course, the possibility that my midibox core module wasn't built correctly, but it looks good. :D

Should I build a pic burner to use IC-Prog?

Can I use IC-Prog with the Picstart plus to avoid the MPLAB programmer workaround? IF so, what programmer should I set it to? I haven't found the answer to this question.

Any answers or commentary are welcome.

Nothing sounds wrong based on your descriptions.

Some additional tips I could give you:

- use the "verify" function in MPLAB to ensure, that the flash has been programmed correctly.

- I don't know if it is still relevant, but PICstart doesn't program the device ID, it will be All-One instead of All-Zero with the result, that the wrong MIDI baudrate is selected.

This page provides a small program which fixes the ID field (TEST SW2)

- you could also try "TEST SW1" if you want

- and all other tests of this page (I haven't found any reference in your posting, maybe you missed this guide?)

Should I build a pic burner to use IC-Prog?

My experiences with PIC programmers:

I started with a PICstart kit ca. 11 years ago, and had to upgrade it several times

With PIC18F4620 I noticed so many programming errors, that I decided to build an own programmer (-> MBHP_BURNER) which works pretty stable. Meanwhile I don't have a PC with RS232 port anymore, and my PICstart doesn't work via a USB->RS232 interface, so that I've no possibility to check the compatibility with certain alternative programming software.

But I don't think that this information is relevant for you if the verify function passes!

In other words: there is a certain chance that you will be able to program the PIC18F device properly with your PICstart. Especially if the verify function passes, it can be assumed that the PIC has been programmed correctly!

Best Regards, Thorsten.

By default, the MIDI OUT port on the M-Audio keyboard will echo what the keyboard is doing.

If you can find the right options, you can make the MIDI IN and MIDI OUT jacks work just like a USB-MIDI interface. You'll need to do this before you can use the MIDI bootloader for MIOS.

1.3.3 Using The Axiom with Your Software

When installed, the Axiom appears as a simple MIDI device with two input ports and one output port. You should select the first

listed Axiom input port as the MIDI input device in your software. Once this is set, your software should be able to receive notes

and controller data from the Axiom.

If you have connected external MIDI gear like a drum machine or another keyboard to your Axiom’s MIDI IN port, this gear can

be interfaced to the computer by selecting the second listed Axiom input port. This way, your Axiom is acting as a MIDI to USB

interface.

It is also possible to stream data from your computer to external MIDI gear connected to the MIDI OUT port of your Axiom—

effectively a USB to MIDI interface. To do this, you should select the Axiom output device in your software. Note that some other

steps are necessary to make this work that will be fully explained later in this manual.

later in the manual..

4.1 MIDI Out from USB Function

MIDI Out from USB can be used to switch the source of the MIDI data seen at the MIDI Out port of your Axiom.

On initial power up, MIDI Out from USB mode is off. This means that as you play your Axiom, MIDI data will be sent to the MIDI

Out port.

If you turn MIDI Out From USB mode on, playing your Axiom will no longer send data to the MIDI Out port. The data is instead

streamed from the computer. So, as long as you have selected your Axiom as the active output port in your computer’s sequencer,

this is the data that will be sent the MIDI Out port.

For example, if you want to control a sound module from your Axiom, you should ensure MIDI Out from USB remains off. If you want

the sound module to play data streamed from your computer however, then you should turn MIDI Out from USB on and ensure that

the output port for your Axiom is selected as the computer’s MIDI output device (this is done in your computer software).

Hope that helps. It's all from your User Guide.

To summarize:

Connect the core to the MIDI IN and MIDI OUT of your axiom keyboard.

Perform the following instructions to turn the MIDI Plug symbol ON:

< Press Data 2 and Data 3 together to change the MIDI Out setting to MIDI Out from USB.

< You will see a MIDI plug symbol appear on the LCD display.

< To turn MIDI Out from USB mode back off, press the same button combination again. When you do this, the MIDI

plug symbol disappears.

Connect MIOS Studio to the second input and the first output from the axiom keyboard.

That should take care of the MIDI connections.. that well-hidden switch for MIDI OUT has fooled a lot of people.

Have Fun,

LyleHaze

Well these are great suggestions. Thanks very much for your time.  It looks like I need to build a programmer or find someone who has. Since in my the Michigan State University Engineering Building often, maybe I can.....

Another nugget of information:

I finally received my 40x2 lcd screens. They are a DisplayTech Clone, so I was able to wire them up using the datasheet from them. The display does not show READY, so I'm assuming that my program is not initializing on the PIC. When I get some more time this week I will try some of the test programs on it to see what I can do. If there is anyone in this area who is willing to program a pic or two for me, let me know.

Meanwhile, my day job calls....