Idea for MIDI controller, ala MS20 Legacy

jaym

Hey!  Let me introduce myself, i'm a complete n00b in terms of making MIDI controllers of any kind but I'm fairly obsessed with making a few due to lack of satisfaction with current ones available.

I love real analog synths of course but I'm quite satisfied with software ones, in fact I prefer them because they're far more practical to integrate into a live computer based setup. For studio though, there's no beating something like a real CS80 (available now for £9000, not quite my budget).

Anyways what I'd like to do is create a MIDI controller which is layed out like a synth, not just a sea of knobs in an uninspiring arrangement. If I manage to make one I'll try a few more. I was quite impressed with using the Legacy controller - it really gives you the feel of the real thing, and it's a pity there aren't more of these, cause I'd snap em up in a second. Especially one for a Prophet 5, Juno 106, SH101 and of course a CS80. Even if it was just a panel of controls minus the keys.

It doesn't look hard to do at all, I've seen that Doepfer do a board ( http://www.doepfer.de/usb64.htm )  with MIDI/USB where you can connect 64 analog potentiometers for 145 euro. So then it's a matter of getting sliders or pots plus the caps (I've seen that you can get synth style caps remade after classic synths), connecting them up and throwing them into a box by the looks of things.

So would be great to get any pointers / advice here.

Any recommendations for an alternative main board? This looks good, although most synths probably don't need 64 controls, more like 40 (ish) or less plus a few buttons.

I really like the Range/Octave switch on the MS20 controller which switches between 4 octaves, not something you get on any midi controller. To do that, would it just be a matter of getting a pot with 4 switch positions and wiring it up as normal? Will the board work, sending 4 divisions of the 0-127 scale out?

Another question is with buttons, it gets more complicated with LED buttons - is 2 way communication hard to do? So that lights will change if you change the assigned midi parameter externally. If it is I won't bother!

Also, something like pressing a button that switches between 4 states with 4 LEDS to indicate which state, is that hard? Or can you just buy parts that do that?

Lastly, any general advice with this, do you think it'll work well?

Thanks!

hello,

this is a midi controller that's been done countless times in various ways by the midibox community.  having buttons, knobs, and leds is pretty standard and there's a plethora of information at ucapps.de.  there's pretty much nothing you can't do.

to do something custom like you want, you need some skills with coding in c, and of course you need an understanding of midibox and mios (again, ucapps, and the forum and wiki).  read as much as you can and dive in.

ultra