Wait for CORE_STM32 Module? Good lifetime for pots?

tonedef

Should I go ahead and get the PIC based core from SmashTV, or hold out for the STM32 core? I plan on maxing out the core's DI's and AI's, and I also want to add USB.

Also what's a good lifetime for pots/encoders (I'm building a VI controller)? I've burned out a few on new synths in less than 5 years with heavy playing. 30k rotations seems awfully low, but the 1M encoders I found are like $20+ a piece!

30K goes into 1M 33 times.

So, 33 1M pots @ $2 each would cost $66.

$20 sounds like a bargain!

Hmmm... yes... I hadn't pondered that.  Maybe I should look for 1T pots, that way when archaeologists unearth it from my great-grand-kids grave, I'll rest easy knowing it'll still rock out.  :)

I guess I'll settle for 100k. I'm betting my old Roland pots that died were at best 30k and those lasted almost 5 years. Though, yeah, not sure about the feel.

I'm thinking the Bourns PEC16's, they're still relatively cheap, and they go to 100k. But the running torque is about half that of the Alps everyone else seems to use though,  it might be too loose, like a jog wheel. I'll have to see if I can test drive one.