How do I use the interconnections test? (SID R doesn't work)

pingosimon

Short question:

I'm uploading the applications to the CORE just fine.  My LCD reads "Test SID Module Pin: A0"  I can use the mod wheel to select different pins.  What now?

Long explanation:

I finished a CORE + 2 SID modules!  I'm using the latest version of everything, and an optimized PSU.  I have a 2x20 LCD screen, which seems to be working fine.

The Left SID works perfectly, but the Right doesn't produce sound with the testtone app.  I tried swapping the L and R SID modules, and it was still the module in place of SID R that didn't work, so the modules themselves are fine.

I got successful voltage checks in the IC sockets before adding the chips.  Since noticing this problem, I swapped the power wires between the SID modules.  This did not affect which module produced sound, so the power lines are ok.  The only thing I have left to suspect are the wires and plugs that connect the CORE to the SID R....right?

Maybe you have a problem with the connection between Core and the right SID module.

If you are planning to use the stereo option (two SID chips controlled from a single core - recommented for a great sound experience!)' date=' just connect the second module like the first one. Only the CS# line of the second SID has a different routing (MBHP_SID::J2:SO -> MBHP_CORE::J14), so that individual accesses are possible.

[/quote']

See also this diagram:

http://ucapps.de/midibox_sid/mbsid_v2_communication.pdf

So check the connections. Try also the latest testtone app, which definitely will generate the tone on both left and right SID modules.

Based on what I can see, the connections are fine.  Exactly the same for both modules, except for where SO of SID J2 connects to the CORE.  Would the interconnection test app tell me if there's something wrong with the connections that I can't see?

I'm using mbsid_testtone_v3b.zip from http://www.ucapps.de/mios_download.html

The pdf doesn't make much sense to me.  I only have one CORE, and my LCD is working fine D 1-16 plugged into the core.  I used this guide http://www.midibox.org/users/jim_henry/building_a_midibox_lcd_cable.pdf

Sorry, I meant to post the link to this diagram: http://www.ucapps.de/mbhp/mbhp_8xsid_c64_psu_optimized.pdf

That shows Core:J14 connecting to SID:J2:SO of the right SID module.

So... are you sure this connection is good?

There are many reasons why the right SID module might not produce the testtone... but since you've swapped the SID modules and proved there is nothing wrong with the SID modules, then it can only be the wiring to the right SID module is wrong, OR the PIC is not outputting on J14 correctly.

Problems with the wiring could be the Core:J14->SID:J2:SO connection, but it could also be any of the other connections that are common to both SID modules.

You can try a different test to narrow down what the problem might be:

- take out the SIDs from both modules

- bridge pins 8 and 27 with a 1K resistor

- run the testtone app

This will generate a 1kHz square wave tone (same as the testtone app makes with the SID) by toggling pin 8 at 1kHz, which is thus connected to the audio buffer circuit at pin 27 (the SID's audio out pin). Pin 8 is connected to SID:J2:SO so this is another test if this connection to the PIC is working.

Refer to the SID module schematic so you know what I mean by pin 8 and pin 27 of the SID IC socket: http://www.ucapps.de/mbhp/mbhp_sid_v3.pdf

With the resistor in the sockets, if you get testtone from the left SID module but not the right SID module (even after swapping modules), then that suggests something wrong with Core:J14->SID:J2:SO... if you get testtone on both SID modules, then that suggests some of the other connections are not working - i.e. the connections that clock data into the shift registers, or the SID clock signal. Post your results after this test and we can discuss what to do next.

Now there COULD be another problem: are you sure the right audio signal is working, i.e. when you swap the SID modules, are you also swapping how the audio outputs are connected to your amplifier/sound card? I recall a problem I once had with an adapter plug that was mono to stereo (instead of stereo to stereo). What happens if you swap just the audio cables to the SID modules? What happens if you only connect one audio cable alternately to each SID module? etc.

Actually, I am just connecting one audio jack, alternating modules.  I just have an instrument cable plugged into a bare 1/4" jack, connected to a guitar amp, and I'm touching the SID audio out wires straight to the jack while running testtone.

I do have Core:J14 connected to SID:J2:SO of SID R with a wire and plugs....I'll try making another wire just in case.

Thanks for the troubleshoot suggestion!  I'm leaving soon for the weekend, but I'll try the resistor bridge when I get back!

So...is the interconnection test unnecessary for this problem?  I did a forum search, and someone always suggested "try the test."

So...is the interconnection test unnecessary for this problem?  I did a forum search, and someone always suggested "try the test."

Yes, you should try interconnection test if you can't solve it this way... as it could be any of the wires connecting Core to the "right" SID module.

You can try a different test to narrow down what the problem might be:

- take out the SIDs from both modules

- bridge pins 8 and 27 with a 1K resistor

- run the testtone app

This works!  Both modules are outputting sound with this method.

I rested the SIDs back in their places, even tried switching them, but I got the same result as before.

I made a new wire plug for core 14 - SID J2 SO, same result.

I noticed that the SID chip of the functional SID L is getting pretty hot, while the chip in SID right is just getting a bit warm.

OK that proves Core:J14->SID:J2:SO is not the problem.

It's possible that some of the other wires to the right SID module are open or shorted.

For example, if the SID clock is not working, the SID won't actually run. Or if the comms signals aren't getting into the shift registers, then data is not getting into the SID.

With everything connected, check for continuity between the pads of J2 on each of the SID modules (except J2:SO), since all these should be "common" and connected to the same pins on the Core.

Also... are the cables of equal length? Is it a chain (Core->SID L->SID R) or a Y-shape (Core->SID L, Core->SID R).

Upload a picture if you can. (Click on "Additional Options..." when you post).

Sorry, could you explain the continuity test a bit more?  I'll have access to a multimeter tonight.  Am I looking for continuity between EVERY combination of pins (not including S0) on J2?

I have a Y shape, with two wires stuffed into certain plugs of the core.

I'll probably have access to a camera tonight too, so I'll try to get pictures.

Continuity mean checking they're connected. There's often a mode on the multimeter that beeps when you touch the probes. On mine it's marked with a diode symbol because it also tests voltage drop of a diode. Use that to test each pin of J2 on SID L is connected to the same pin of J2 on SID R. If your multimeter doesn't have this mode, just test resistance is 0 Ohms (it won't be exactly 0 Ohms, but you know what I mean).

You could try the interconnection test also... testing that the shift registers etc. are outputting high and low signals.

Unfortunately, MIOS Studio doesn't have something to send exact Mod wheel messages, so you have to use something like MIDI-OX.

The LCD will show you what pin is being tested, refer to the schematic to find it on the PCB.

Ah ok, corresponding pins between SID L and SID R.  Thanks!

As for the interconnection test, I'm not sure how to use it.

I can get it uploaded to the core, and it reads "Test SID Module Pin: A0"  When I change the mod wheel (or use a program called MIDImouse for Mac) I can get it to read "Test SID Module Pin: xx" where xx is A and a number or D and a number, or some other things.  What exactly am I looking for?  I'm using a 2x20 LCD.

Uh...both modules work now!  They each emit the testtone, and they each work with the default lead patch!  Maybe all that plugging/unplugging of cables and SID chips did something.

Er wait...My LCD screen shows:

EInt|PInt| Ld Chn. 1

1***|Lead Patch

Does the 1*** mean that SID 2 is not being recognized?  I don't have any buttons yet for the control surface, so I don't think I can select anything.

I'd still like to learn how to use the interconnection test, for future reference.

MB-SID can have four Core modules, each running it's own engine. That's what is referred to as SID 1, SID 2 etc.

Your second SID module connected to a Core is the "Right" one of a Left,Right stereo pair. That's what is referred to as SID L/R in params for that SID engine. You'll see it in the mod matrix (mod target can be -/-, L/-, -/R, L/R), in the Shift menu (view/change params for left, right or both)... One unintuitive but very cool example: The Inv2 value on a mod matrix row will invert the value for the right SID.

FYI there's no "recognizing" - a Core can't tell if a SID module is connected. It can only "recognize" other Cores connected on the CAN bus... i.e. to operate in master/slave fashion. Hence the "1***" is correct, you only have one Core.

Interconnection test is explained in the main.asm I think... basically you send mod wheel messages to control which SID pin is being set high, and check that this pin is 5V and the others are not. The LCD shows which pin is being set.

Try the patch editor... you can then do stuff to check if left and right SIDs are doing different things... perhaps easiest thing to do is run the init patch for Multi engine and hear three voices come out of each channel.

Ah, I get it now, thanks!

I'll try some different patches when I figure out this SysEx editor...I don't have any buttons or knobs yet.  I need to read up on Bankstick, DIN and DOUT, and then I think I'm actually going to start on a MB-6582!

UPDATE: Figured out the sysex editor, tried the Multi patch, played some 6-note chord progressions, nearly pooped pants.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

uh, the problem sorta comes back sometimes.  I just poke at stuff on the board and turn the thing off and on until it works again.

I need my own multimeter...

I'm having problems getting my SID to work using the testtone app - sometimes when I turn it on it doesn't work, but after I turn it on and off a couple of times it works again..

Did you manage to make yours work properly, every time?

• 3 weeks later...

I came back to this while waiting for more MB-6582 parts in the mail.

I re-soldered a few things on each board, then re-made each wire connector between CORE and SIDs. The CORE died! Then I resoldered some stuff on the CORE and now everything works!

...and I still don't know how to use the SID interconnection test.