Core32 not recognised by OS (WinXP)

latigid on

I was putting together my Core32 board last night, following the instructions on uCApps. However, when it came to "activating" the MIDI port, I could not get Windows to find the MIDI port. The install goes okay; it finds a device called "MIOS32" then calls it a USB Audio Device (with a generic driver). However, when I go to find the MIDI ports in MIOS Studio, I cannot find them. I was searching through the MIDIBox forum and found a few links (some in the Spanish section!) to other forums (PIC forum etc.) where they tell you to delete registry filters etc.. I did try this, but still could not get it to work. Presumably there is some conflict between other devices on my system?

Any ideas? Or am I stuck on enabling the Boot Hold and uploading via regular MIDI? Or using another OS like MacOS or Linux?

Thanks

Andy

Hi Andy,

it looks like a driver is installed on your PC which overwrites the original Microsoft Audio device driver.

E.g., Nils noticed this with the "Logitech QuickCam" driver, and after he uninstalled it, USB MIDI was working again.

Or am I stuck on enabling the Boot Hold and uploading via regular MIDI?

You are always able to upload via regular MIDI.

But you will really miss the fast USB speed (100x faster than MIDI)

Or using another OS like MacOS or Linux?

If you have the option, I strongly recomment you to use MacOS (*) - in distance to Windows, the USB MIDI driver implementation works perfectly without any limitations! :) And in distance to Linux, it is guaranteed that it will work without additional driver installation/troubleshooting/incompatibility issues.

Best Regards, Thorsten.

(*) note that MIOS Studio requires mmj or Mandolane to access the MIDI ports in Java.

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I think I have quite a similar problem : my Core32 (from SmashTV with preprogrammed STM32) is recognized as "USB Audio Device" and visible into MIOS Studio, but with a gray icon, and the Query returns nothing.

Then I have some newbie questions :

• Should the device icon be black ? I suppose the gray icon means the device is inactive or something.
  • Could it be a driver problem ? But the device seems to be recognized by Windows.
  • Can it be something more subtile like insufficient power ? It is powered by USB on a laptop for the moment.
  • I noticed something else: when plugged the LED flashes 3 times as expected but with some fade-in effect, is it normal ?

I did not try with another computer because this is the only one available I have at the moment.

Any help or comment would be great. I am a bit frustrated to be stuck at the first plug.

Thanks,

Julien

Hi,

I think I have quite a similar problem

It seems to be a different problem.

Should the device icon be black ? I suppose the gray icon means the device is inactive or something

No, a gray icon indicates a successfully enumerated physical MIDI device.

Could it be a driver problem ? But the device seems to be recognized by Windows.

Cannot be excluded yet

Can it be something more subtile like insufficient power ? It is powered by USB on a laptop for the moment.

Cannot be excluded yet

I noticed something else: when plugged the LED flashes 3 times as expected but with some fade-in effect, is it normal ?

Yes, this is a sign of life. Looks nice, no? :)

First we should exclude that this isn't a configuration problem with MIOS Studio.

Click on "Options->Restore Default Internal Routing" to restore internal connections for the case that you unintentionally removed them.

Thereafter ensure, that MIOS Studio In/Out ports are connected to the MIOS32 ports as shown in the newbie guide: http://www.ucapps.de/mios32_bootstrap_newbies.html

If this still doesn't help, you could also try to contact the core with the SysEx tool of MIDI-Ox.

Send: F0 00 00 7E 32 00 00 01 F7

The core should reply with: F0 00 00 7E 32 00 0F 4D 49 4F 53 33 32 F7

Does this help?

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Thanks TK for the answer.

Finally I tried on another computer (under Vista) and everything works well, in bootloader mode as well.

But on mine (under XP) it still doesn't work. The first difference is after connection to MIOS Studio In/Out ports: the core icons remain gray and the connections are in dashed lines. The "Query" doesn't work and I get no reply to a sent message from SysEx.

I checked that "The USB Audio Device" is MIOS32 using the Windows generic USB Audio driver. I looked for something else conflicting but I have no other device connected to the computer.

Does anyone have an idea ?

Anyway, hardware is OK ! This is a good point. :thumbsup:

• 1 year later...

I know this a 'dead' topic but I am having the same sort of problem. The STM32 shows up in Device Manger as USB Audio device, as it should, but MIOS Studio 2.2.1 doesn't see it and it's not found in Control Panel/Sounds and Audio Devices/Audio/MIDI music playback, (but under the Hardware tab it is listed). I'm running XP Pro sp3 on an HP laptop Intel core 2 duo CPU, (have seen Google with Duo core MIDI issues).

The other posts in this thread mention "options" menu,?!?! Cant see it in MIOS Studio 2.2.1.? I think the problem has to do with Windows' driver but does any one have a hot fix?

Thanks, Yogi

Hi Yogi,

the "options menu" has vanished, as MIOS Studio 2 only offers options which lead to a straightforward workflow to avoid such accidents! :)

To your USB MIDI problem: this seems to be related to XP only, it's a Microsoft driver issue which only appears on certain computers.

Somebody found an alternative driver for XP some time ago, which was open for other USB MIDI compliant devices (such as MBHP_USB and MBHP_USB_PIC).

I believe that it should also work with MBHP_CORE_STM32... but my problem: I can't find the appr. posting anymore! :-/

However, it could make sense to search in the web for different USB MIDI drivers especially provided for XP. It wasn't from Yamaha, nor from Roland... but from a known company...

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Hi Yogi,

the "options menu" has vanished, as MIOS Studio 2 only offers options which lead to a straightforward workflow to avoid such accidents! :)

To your USB MIDI problem: this seems to be related to XP only, it's a Microsoft driver issue which only appears on certain computers.

Somebody found an alternative driver for XP some time ago, which was open for other USB MIDI compliant devices (such as MBHP_USB and MBHP_USB_PIC).

I believe that it should also work with MBHP_CORE_STM32... but my problem: I can't find the appr. posting anymore! :-/

However, it could make sense to search in the web for different USB MIDI drivers especially provided for XP. It wasn't from Yamaha, nor from Roland... but from a known company...

Best Regards, Thorsten.

I think this was it:

Thanks TK & findbuddha, :) I'll try it straight away. The problem seems to be related to duo core processors and Windows' USB midi drivers, there are lots of related posts for Win7 with this midi issue, so I guess that M$ is not in a hurry to fix it!!

Thanks again, Yogi