MIDI troubleshooting

pingosimon

My MB-6582 won't communicate with my computer, so I'm going through the MIDI troubleshooting steps. I could've sworn I successfully sent a message to the LCD before, but now I'm not sure. (I have another CORE for testing so it gets confusing).

TEST PROG1: Pass. I got the chips from SmashTV, and tried it in my other CORE.

TEST CORE1: Pass

TEST CORE2: N/A

TEST CORE3: Pass, as far as I can tell.

TEST CORE4: Pass.

TEST CORE5: Pass, mostly. http://www.ucapps.de/howtodebug/mbhp_core_extract_measuring_gnd.gif I don't know how to test J3 or the ground that comes from the crystal an 33 pf cap

TEST CORE6: I have no idea how to do this

TEST CORE7: This diode measures .6 V and a beep, or 1.3 V and no beep, depending on how I orient my multimeter probes. I got the diode from SmashTV an installed the diode facing the correct direction. Pass?

TEST CORE8: Pass.

TEST CORE9: Pass.

TEST CORE10: N/A

TEST CORE11: (Will try later...I did bump those 2200uf caps more than I should have)

TEST OUT1: FAIL! What do I do to fix it? I tried with the power on and off, and with three different LEDs (each from SmashTV). The LEDs work, I tested them at J3. I used the LCD message app with "loop message" checked.

TEST OUT2: (Will try later)

Also just noticed the whole TESTIN section...I'll try that later, too.

hahahahaha....RTFM!

I didn't do this:

J11 at the bottom of the board is used to switch which PIC's serial output is connected to the MIDI Out. You use this during uploading of MIOS and the MB-SID V2 firmware to each PIC. Place a jumper vertically across two pins to switch between the PICs 1,2,3,4 (1 is the master, on the right). Leave the jumper in position 1 when you've finished. All PICs receive the same MIDI In, which is OK during uploads and the MB-SID V2 firmware also requires them all connected to MIDI In. I've labeled this 1,2,3,4 and the Cores/PICs are identified 1,2,3,4 but the device IDs you burn into the PIC are 0,1,2,3.

Now it works!