6582A heat comparisons

m00dawg

As promised, now that I have finished the infill painting on my Sammich, I had some time to post some temperature readings:

Synth : SID Temp : Ambient Temp

MB-6582 (With Heatsinks) : 38C : 25C

Sammich Without Ceiling Fan : 50C : 21C

Sammich With Ceiling Fan : 47C : 21C

The temperature readings on the MB-6582 were with the box basically closed and using the heatinks from Fuzzylizard along with a small 40mm Radio Shack fan at the back. I used the SID furthest from the fan. Since I am using my own PSU external to the 6852 there was no additional heat from that, though keep in mind the 6582 has 8 SIDs and the Sammich only 2. There's also less ventilation on the 6852. I tool readings from the right SID on the Sammich (the one closest to the regulators) with the sides and top on (though without using screws so things were on a bit loosely). In both cases, I used a temperature probe from my multimeter taped down to either the sink or chip.

Based upon this, I would be curious to see how well some heatsinks work and will likely be trying to find some low profile sinks to use. I do not want to use Fuzzylizard's for the Sammich because they are too tall and I would have to cut them to fit (which I would rather not do).

Anyways just thought I would share my findings :)

I did a quick search on Allied Electronics and found these heatsinks:

http://www.alliedelec.com/search/productdetail.aspx?SKU=090SPEC&MPN=437177

They look low-profile but I'm not sure how well they would end up working. If I grab these up I'll share my impressions but otherwise thought I'd pass the link along in case anyone was looking for the same thing (namely, low-profile heatsinks for SIDs)

I did a quick search on Allied Electronics and found these heatsinks:

http://www.alliedelec.com/search/productdetail.aspx?SKU=090SPEC&MPN=437177

They look low-profile but I'm not sure how well they would end up working. If I grab these up I'll share my impressions but otherwise thought I'd pass the link along in case anyone was looking for the same thing (namely, low-profile heatsinks for SIDs)

Did you cut vent slits in your case? I wonder what difference that would make. Per the zillions of pics I've posted, I have 7 or so slits cut right by the power supply section to (hopefully) give nice airflow across all the SIDs. I should probably take measurements but I've not opened up my MB in many months and don't really want to start... :-)