sammichSID LED brightness

cavey

Hi there,

I soldered my sammichSID during the christmas holidays. The whole machine is running just fine right from the beginning. I just have one small issue: 3 LED's aren't as bright as the rest of the 45 LED's.

What could possibly cause them? Ofcourse I just think of putting up this topic now, when I'm nowhere near the sammichSID to point out which LED's... so this is just coming straight from the brain:

Right hand side of the LED's, 1 LED in the second bar, 2 LED's in the third bar.

So I'm thinking that I might have overheated the LED's, or there's some other problem (I did get 3 extra LED's, so I could swap them out... somehow. Solderbraid and me don't go too well though :P)

Any ideas/tips for troubleshooting?

Upload and test the LEDs with the CS test app:

If you're sure that some are always not as bright as the others, and there doesn't seem to be a pattern to it (i.e. all in one row, or all in one column, when all LEDs are lit), then it's most likely the LED itself at fault, either through overheating or maybe just bad before you soldered them.

That's why I pack 50 even though you only need 48. Sometimes you get lucky and get three extra.

If it's possible to cut the leads on the top side, then you can desolder each lead separately and it's an easy job... don't be afraid to cut right through the plastic first and crush it completely if it gives you better access to the leads without bending the LEDs nearby.

Hmm, now that you mention the LED tester. I tried that one. It seems some leds are less bright when a lot are lit, but are of similar brightness when lit individually.

I'll go ahead and desolder the LED with permanent dimness, and check out the other ones. Cutting up the LED is a very good idea to easily desolder the stuff :D (So obvious, I didn't think of it myself >_< )