challenge connecting this LCD to Core32

robotfunk

Hi, so I got a nice parcel from Hong Kong yesterday, with my two lovely looking blue 40x2 LCD screens ( from http://cgi.ebay.com/40X2-Character-LCD-Module-Module-LCM-HD44780_W0QQitemZ190337762891QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item2c5103c64b ) and I notice it has solder holes spaced for a nice IDC header, so no soldering to the LCD needed, great!

so I start crimping me some cables and look at the data sheet, compare it to the core32 and it matched perfectly, well almost :)

lcd_prob.jpg

it seems that the pins are in the right order, but flipped vertically. I thought I could fix it by rotating a cable header, but that didn't work out however I tried.

Now I've got some helpful hints in the chat how to fix this, but it involves crimp pins and tool which I don't have, and I think I have an idea how to McGyver something ugly to fix it, but before I go to all the effort, I wonder, is it really flipped? Am I not overlooking something obvious? Interpreting the datasheet wrongly perhaps? Here is the datasheet with pinout by the way:

GS.jpg

And if I'm right and I do have to hack something together, does anyone brighter than me have a clever idea that does not involve manually swapping every 2nd cable in a ribbon cable, or require 8 parts like the kludge I had in mind and still have to test?

any ideas much appreciated