Installing hex files to PIC outside of CORE...

JaseM

MIDIbox firmare comes in three parts - there's the bootloader which is burned onto the PIC, and contains enough code to allow uploads via MIDI. Then MIOS, the "operating system", can be uploaded via MIDI (or pre-installed by SmashTV etc.). Finally, the application itself, which is the .hex file in a release, can be uploaded via MIOS Studio.

The application .hex file, therefore, is only part of what is on the PIC, if you tried to burn just that .hex file onto the PIC, the parts where the bootloader and MIOS should be will just be blank and it won't work. You can upload an app to a PIC and then dump the whole PIC memory to make a complete .hex file, which then can be burned with a PIC burner. (or ask someone else to dump the complete .hex file).

I use PICPgm software and a JDM burner I bought off eBay. Previously I used a self-made JDM burner but I "upgraded" to one with a ZIF socket as now I have to burn a lot of PICs.

So yes, it can be done... but it's not the solution to a MIDIbox that can't receive firmware uploads via MIDI. Even if you got the MIDIbox SID app installed by burning, the patches can only be uploaded via MIDI (through a patch editor), and if your PC/MIDI interface is having SysEx comms trouble then patch uploading might also have trouble.

If you are really struggling, you could try the new MIOS Studio MkII beta. If you send a PM to TK he may let you download it and give it a go. It is an early beta so usual disclaimers apply, it may cause your computer to self destruct and your house to fall down.... or it may just fix your problem :)

Cheers

Phil

Hi Wilba,

I should hope so, the binary was built with MSVC running on Windows 7 x64 :)

Juce (the class library that it uses) does have a bit of a mac "look and feel" I think this is because it doesn't use any of the native controls (so it looks the same on windows/mac and linux!

Cheers

Phil