MB-6582 Control-Surface Encoders Not Working

toneburst

Hi,

I had a fully-functioning MB-6582, but now all the encoders have stopped working. They look physically OK, and I've resoldered all the pads on both ends of the connecting cables between the mainboard and the CS, but they're still not working. The LCD, all LEDs and the tact switches all seem to work fine. What else could have gone wrong? I've tried reseating all the ICs in that section of the mainboard too. The ribbon cables I'me using to connect the two boards are quite stiff, and a bit too long, so there's quite a lot of mechanical stress involved in getting the panel to lie flat in the top of the case, but the connections at either end of the connectors seem OK to me. What else should I check?

a|x

Edited by toneburst

I'm pretty sure it's not the shift-registers, as I've tried taking all the ones not related to the LEDs out, rearranging them, and putting them back in again. If it was a problem with one of these ICs, I'd have expected something other than the encoders to stop working when I rearranged them. It didn't have any effect though- everything else still worked, but the encoders still didn't. I've double-checked the connectors, by continuity-testing the solder pads at either end of the connector, and they all seem OK, so I know they're intact. It's possible that some small washers may have fallen under the mainboard while I was testing stuff, so it's possible something got shorted-out. Anyone any advice as to what else I should be looking at?

a|x