MidiBox FM and MBNet

strophlex

Would it be possible to build a multi core/opl3 MB-FM using a common contol surface using MBNet? I am thinking someting like MB6582 where you switch between the synth engines with a button. I am not sure if this is necessary, but when I listen to MB-FM examples I think I could use many channels and I guess it would be possible to make stereo patches too...

As far as I undertand there is no CAN interface on the PIC452 (that is used for the MB-FM application), but if PIC4685s are used? Are there pin conflicts? Would the programming effort be great? Would this at all be possible?

I know this question has been raised before, but I don't think it was throughly examined.

It's very likely that MBFM V2 will run on a STM32F05 based core, and that it will provide a more modern sound engine + UI (e.g. with graphical LCD option, perhaps also with touchscreen)

It's likely that it will be controllable from the MBSID V3 CS and VST/AU

It's even likely that for an easy adaption the OPL3 will be controlled via PIC18F4685/CAN like the SIDs

It's unlikely that I will provide an option which doesn't rely on a STM32F105 based core.

Best Regards, Thorsten.

It's very likely that MBFM V2 will run on a STM32F05 based core, and that it will provide a more modern sound engine + UI (e.g. with graphical LCD option, perhaps also with touchscreen)

It's likely that it will be controllable from the MBSID V3 CS and VST/AU

It's even likely that for an easy adaption the OPL3 will be controlled via PIC18F4685/CAN like the SIDs

It's unlikely that I will provide an option which doesn't rely on a STM32F105 based core.

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Very interesting. I guess this is rather far off in the future. However, I guess an upgrade path from existing hardware similar to SeqV3->SeqV4 will be possible, so that I can build a single OPL3 FM and leave space for additional units in the case.

The upgrade path is simple: build a MBFM w/o control surface (MBHP_CORE and MBHP_OPL3) only, and control it from the Java editor until the "remote access" solution is available.

You can already use a PIC18F4685 instead PIC18F452 with the existing firmware w/o changes.

Later two data lines to OPL3 (D2 and D3) have to be connected to some other IO pins, since RB2/RB3 will be allocated by CAN. But no other changes will be required (no additional devices, etc)

Best Regards, Thorsten.

The upgrade path is simple: build a MBFM w/o control surface (MBHP_CORE and MBHP_OPL3) only, and control it from the Java editor until the "remote access" solution is available.

"the Java editor", is that JSynthLib? I downloaded the snapshot @ http://www.midibox.org/jsynthlib/JSynthLib-Snapshot-2006-01-28.jar.zip but it crashes on startup in OS X. Might work better in Windows.

There is no STM32F105 derivative (which allows to use CAN and USB in parallel) with 512k flash available yet, therefore it can take a year until a complete solution is possible.

On the other hand I will be able to prepare the firmwares until then on a STM32F103, but either w/o USB or w/o CAN...

Java: yes, JSynthLib is incomaptible to the latest (buggy) Java changes done by Apple.

Best Regards, Thorsten.

There is no STM32F105 derivative (which allows to use CAN and USB in parallel) with 512k flash available yet, therefore it can take a year until a complete solution is possible.

On the other hand I will be able to prepare the firmwares until then on a STM32F103, but either w/o USB or w/o CAN...

Java: yes, JSynthLib is incomaptible to the latest (buggy) Java changes done by Apple.

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Did my STM32 homework. Waiting for STM32F105RD... Midibox became high tech frontline!