Newb intro for 6581 MBSID and 8580 MBSID

JRock

Hi.

This is my first post here. I've been lurking awhile.

I just ordered two boards from SmashTV and I'm close to having 16 SIDs.

Figured I oughta dip my feet in cuz I'm probably gonna need lots of help.

This is my first big build and I'm only about 6 months into electronics.

I have all these Commodore's with no sound chips so I'd like to scrounge as much as possible from them (seeing as I spent all my candy money on chips...)

I know you shouldn't reuse old electrolytic caps but does anybody know if it's a problem to reuse old disc caps?

How about Voltage regulators and rectifiers? Shouldn't be a problem right?

I'd like to reuse the cases too (like subatomic and TK did) no offense Wilba...

I know it's ambitious but the wiring diagrams and the walkthrough are all there right?

I'm on a shoestring budget so $70 worth of cases is another week I have to keep my fingers crossed they don't turn off my electric!

I can make the the panel from an old street sign that happened to get run over in front of my apartment (1/8" aluminum) and still have plenty left over when I get around to modulars.

Thomas Henry gave some instructions on how to make nice panels out of aluminum in "Build A Better Music Synthesizer".

Probably won't be as nice as some I've seen but I'm more the type of guy whose interested in functionality than aesthetics.

I'm building two so I can use the 6581's I got before I found out the resonance don't really work on them.

Ideally I would like to use 8580's for the bass and the lead and use 6581's for the polyphonic section.

I don't know if it's feasible to run a third PS for the different voltages. Anybody try that? If it's real complicated I don't think I can figure it out by myself.

I would love to know if anybody has any experience with that, how you did it and how it worked for you.

Well that's my introduction. I'm thrilled to have taken the first steps and happy to be a part of this community.

It seems real cool around here. If anybody finds any flaws in my logic or has any thoughts on my questions I would love to hear what you think. Thanks for having me.

Oh yeah... Anybody reuse some of the connectors from the commodores for their midi input/output/thru? I am imagining you could reuse the power supply jack and the other one in the back, just only connecting the three pins at the top that midi uses...

P.s.s.- What about all those chips in the front of the C64 motherboard? I know the CPU and the big chips in the back can't really be used for this but are any of those comparable to the 745xx we need? I guess I should google the datasheets before asking but since I got you here already...

Edited by JRock

Hiya,

I stripped the wires from the keyboards and saved the caps lock key switch (at least I think it was the caps lock key),I also saved the best cases to use for projects.

I looked at the going rates (on ebay) for the chips left on the c64 boards but they didn't seem to be selling for much.

A guy in the fleamarket was enquiring about left over c64 bits,maybe he might buy them off you?

Best of luck mate.

cheers

Paul

Why would I be offended? :rolleyes:

Wilba:

Cuz I'm not going with the pactec case. (we'll see once I start building though, I may be in over my head and

go for the the readymade PCB)

I didn't honestly think you would be. It was more of a tip of the hat to you than anything else.

Thanks for the replies!

Wilba totally comes crying to me everytime someone doesn't go with the mb6582 option and actually does real DIY ;) Then I have to :console: and give him some :flowers: and he's good again!

Seriously though - tipping hat good, making a new never-before seen case good, too!

Awwww....

That's cute!

Working on the order list today... Any parts seem to get forgotten on a regular basis?

Thanks!

There's the answer to my question about different kinds of SIDs in the same board!!

Right at the beginning of Wilba's wiki! Been a little while since I read it. Guess I should have read everything again before I came on here asking questions... I'll try a little harder next time!

Edited by JRock