C++ Real Time Programming Safety/Style

TheAncientOne

If anyone can think of a better place to post this, please feel free to move it.

I've had quite a long lay off from my music projects, and have started to do a bit of, (very lightweight), programming, again.

I was looking at notes for some other real time work, when I found that the safety and style notes for the Joint Strike Fighter project were now in the public domain. OK no-one is likely to die as a result of a MIDIbox programming error, (though a crash on stage might make you wish were at least somewhere else), but I thought that there might be some good relevant info in it for us. Programming style is a very personal thing, but anything that I can find to make my real time work more robust sounds like a good idea for me

JSF++, C++ Programming Standards

Hope it's of interest.

Edited by TheProf

Hi.

I read through the JSF programming rules when they were first released and there are definitely some good points but IMHO they are too restrictive in some areas as well, especially forbidding inline macros and #define constants in favour of inline functions and const declarations. This is fine when developing for PC/Mac/Linux with practically unlimited memory but something like MIDIbox projects where RAM is at a premium, precious stack space can be saved by using inline macros and #define'd constants.......

However, I think the readability and style sections (especially naming conventions) would be very useful to implement though :)

Cheers

Phil

Yarr!

I see that the JSF guidelines references my old arch-enemy: The MISRA (misery) guidelines. So we meet again! Takes me back to when I was working as a programmer for a living... Then I de-evolved, ha-ha.

Does anyone know of a good freeware alternative to PC-Lint by Gimpel? It still costs 389 bucks, so it's a bit steep for hobbyists. Sometimes a little static analysis is what the doctor ordered. There are of course plain vanilla Lint implementations but is there something more comprehensive which is still free? I did quickly check Wikipedia out of curiosity.

Cheers!