MB6582: clones slave2 and resets on statup?

JRock

'Hi. Everytime I start my MB6582 the LCD says "cloning slaves" and goes up to slave2 then "waiting for reset"

then it resets and takes me to the oscillator screen.

Then there is very quiet noise and if I turn everything up I can very faintly hear SID2 when I play the keyboard and noise.

I guess I have to deal with the startup before i get to the SID...

Would this be the soldering? It's a pretty clean solder job and I touched up a couple questionable joints and ran a screwdriver in between a lot of them. Maybe a misplaced component? Or is it a PIC problem?

I have done the standard stuff for troubleshooting. I'm kinda stuck now. Any suggestions?

It should only do cloning when the menu button is down on startup. Also it shouldn't start on the oscillator screen. This implies it is sensing switches being pressed when they aren't, so something is wrong with your control surface, i.e. a short or something, either on the CS PCB or the connections to the base PCB, or even on the 74HC165 ICs. Check there for shorts. Also, did you install the resistor networks the right way, with the dot marking matching the end with the part number i.e. R30?

Also, it should clone up to slave 03 before restarting. Do you have all four PICs installed? Did you upload MIDIbox SID V2 firmware on each PIC? Check R80 is installed too (but I think it must be if it's doing any cloning).

You might want to try taking out the slave PICs until you sort out the control surface issues (i.e. get it to a point where the menu button isn't "stuck"), and then upload the firmware to each PIC separately in the far right IC socket before putting them in their right place. You won't need to test cloning until you have everything else working.

I am having problems with my encoders (they all stopped working) so I thought I would switch around some of the ICs that are above Base JD1 and JD2 vi-a-vis. JD7 & JD8. Doing so caused this error message. Switching them back got rid of the problem. Maybe yours are switched?

I don't even have a control surface. I'm waiting till I get the meat and bones figured out before I start messin' with the marrow.

So I do have all the PICs in. I uploaded the V2 firmware in each one separately so they should be good.

I'll try it without the slaves in.

I know R80 is in there.

I'll check around the 74hc165.

I am not positive that the resistor networks are in correctly... so I'll check that too.

J11 doesn't seem to have any effect... I couldn't figure that out but maybe that's a red flag for something?

I was having trouble getting the PICs to send midi out so maybe once I get this stuff sorted out that will sort itself out too...

Thanks for your replies.

I'll post up again when I have checked all this stuff out.

OK you can try removing the 74HC165, that should disable all sensing of switches and encoders. It seems likely you have something wrong around that area.

It doesn't make sense that J11 has no effect. If you can't get MIDI Out working on each Core, then fix that first. You should never upload without feedback from Core (i.e. MIDI Out working and sending acknowledgements of received packets). Try using MIOS Studio 2, this is perhaps better at ensuring you have uploaded the firmware without corruption.

Alright. The resistor networks on the top are in right but the ones on the bottom are in backwards...

I guess I'll switch them out first. These PCBs are very nice. The solder flows right through the holes.

Unfortunately it makes it tough to pull components out :sweat: I'll update once that is done. Thanks

Ok. I switched them around. It's still the same. If I take out the ic 74HC165 from JD1 or JD2 the screen says:

E002|PInt Ld Chn. 1

1***|Lead Patch

I think that's right? But I touched up all the joints around those two and their resistor networks and it is still clones the slaves and takes me to the oscillator screen if I have both of ic's in.

P.s. While pulling the resistor networks I lifted the track that goes between JD1 D4 and the fifth pin of the resistor network. I'll make sure I have that connected with a bus wire or something.

Edited by JRock

IF the resistor networks aren't right, the firmware might get garbage from the shift registers and think the Menu button is being pressed on startup (and thus it tries to clone firmware to the slave PICs).

You should check the 74HC165 (and connected resistor networks) that is connected to the switch matrix, which is 5th from the right... the first 4 from the right are for rotary encoders.

Also check there are no shorts on the pins connecting the two PCBs.

You know what? I had the bottom row in right the first time but then I pulled them and put them in backwards!! :pinch:

I misunderstood and in my hurry to "fix" it I put all the white dots facing R30 :wacko:

So I just pulled them all and it's a mess cause it seems like my iron kept cooling off. Must be time for a new one. I guess this one doesn't owe me anything.

I had a lot more trouble pulling them this time then last time.

It's too late for me to concentrate on cleaning this up right now but I'll put them back in the correct way 2mw.

Good thing I got extras! Pulling ICs and multipin components is not for the faint of heart... :sweat:

Hopefully I'll be up and running then!

Thanks Wilba :flowers:

Well I got'em pulled without lifting any pads but the cleanup is gonna be bastard. The first time I pulled'em it went smooth but the second time is always more tenuous... something about the plasticity of the solder.

These ain't the first ic's I've pulled. :thumbsup:

Thanks