Begininer. Advice on controller needed.

alleng

I have been looking into building a midi controller for over a month and have some idea on what I want and need, but I need some advice.

The controller will be used not for music, but to control a computer program like a photo editor or video editor. The software can map midi sliders to sliders in the program and also send the values back to the midi controller.

I need at lease 8 motorized sliders, about 20-30 buttons, and about 10 knobs with maybe a led ring around them to show that current value. It will be kind of like the behringer BCF2000 but with a completely different layout. The sliders with be mounted where they slide left to right. I also may add a lcd. It all needs to plug to the computer usb.

I am going to start with a CORE_STM32 module. Is there anything else I need to get the motorized sliders working? Can the whole thing be powered over usb or is a power supply needed?

As I am just a beginner what would you start with, being that the motorized sliders are the whole point of the project?