How to chart out power supply requirements?

basta73

Someone out  there knows how to do this.

Does anyone know how to add up what the Power Supply should be capable of, based on the components in the box, i.e. add 1mA per LED.  

So you can say, my project has 16 encoders, 8 MF, 16 LED rings, 2 LCDs, etc.  And just add up the numbers until you get to the Amperage requirements of the project.

I hope this makes sense.

I'm looking for a chart that graphs what the individual components need.

MFs I dont know, but for the rest:

encoders and so on nearly nothing ( about 30-50 mA for all including the core).

LED rings: 20-30 mA

LEDs : 20 mA

LCD (with backlight): about 200-300 mA

LCD without bl: about 30-50

I think I have all. These are maximum values. If you have your amount (e.g. 600 mA) always go to the higher value (e.g. 1A) to go sure (factor 1,5 to 2 is fairly enough).

Thanks,  this is exactly what I was looking for.  

I was worried about powering extensive motorfaders, but now I think it's easier to dedicate a power supply to them.  

I had a feeling that the LED rings did not drain the same as the sum of their LEDs.

Thanks again!

No, they dont.  :)

Theyre multiplexed. That means that theyre switched through all the time so fast that the eye thinks, all LEDs are lit. On the other hand that means, that only one LED at a time is under power.

Unfortunately some (not so good) LEDs are a little darker due to the fast switching, but if that happens you can just lower the resistance and all is fine again.

Greets