Ableton Controller, Core8 or Core32

evengravy

hi,

I am beginning a project to build a unique Ableton Live interface similar in specifications to Robert Henke's Monodeck and Protofuse's Protodeck based on the Midibox platform.

Protofuse used two Core8 modules which were midilinked together, I believe the Core32 was either not out at the time, or not as developed at the time, so I think this may be partly why he (protofuse) chose to use this.

My question is, from a learning standpoint, is there any reason why I should choose to use two Core8 modules rather that a single Core32 module? Ignoring momentarily that Protofuse's code is available (I want to learn this standard too). I am a qualified Music Technologist with fairly thorough knowledge of Electronics and Arduino and I would like to graduate onto something less limiting and more specific to my goals. I realise that I will have to learn the (C?) programming language logic for whichever Core that I choose by reading the excellent documentation available, however I would appreciate some advice in this regard.

The spec would be along these lines:

90 potentiometers (3 x AIN)

90 buttons (3 x DIN)

64 rgb led's for visual feedback (2 x DOUT)

I know that this is probably a difficult question to answer but I want to begin learning/developing with Midibox and I would like to concentrate on one Core type or the other.

Thanks, even

You want to go the Core32 route, both because that makes coding somewhat easier (you do not have to optimize your code that soon / you do not max out memory so easily), and it is more future safe in terms of hardware you can attach to it (some of the modules, e.g. the ETH module, work with Core32 only).

Best regards, ilmenator