MB6582 - summing the 4 individual stereo outputs

no-fi

Hi all.

forgive me if this is common knowlege but I haven't seen this mentioned before, so get the feeling this could be very useful to more people than just me. so here goes:

I have the standard 6582 build, that only has the 4 stereo individual out jacks on the back - not the summed stereo headphone out. But I wanted to use superpoly mode without taking up 8 mono mixer channels.

One quick and simple way to automatically chain all your voices down to the one output jack is to take advantage of the existing buffered output design and the existing use of switched sockets on the 6582 board, you can bridge the L&R switch side of each of the stereo 1/4" jacks to the L&R signal side of the next jack along with a bit of spare wire. Then if no plug is in a jack, it automatically connects that jack's signal to the input of the next one.

Then, when you only have a plug in output 1, you get all of 4,3,2,1 summed to it, but if for instance you put another plug at 4, you would get voice 4 on that plug, and 3,2,1 on the plug in jack 1. so you could have the synth setup as 2 instruments - one voice doing a bass sound, and 3 voices tied together doing a 3 voice pad, and each "instrument" going to its own mixer channel for EQ and fx.

anyway - just thought I'd share. this tiny little mod made a massive difference to my use of my 6582...

Edited by no-fi

Remember that the summed jack-output has 10K resistors to form a 'passive mixer'. I am no expert in this at all, but i really think that the summed jack was designed like this because it is somehow important! The best you can do is to just solder the simple jack connector for summed output - the scheme still applies (if i use out1, only 2,3 and 4 will com out the summed jack output)

oh. 1/8" jack....

I hadn't really considered one of those for a main out.

Actually the more I think of it, the more I'm thinking that I'd like to use two of the original output jack spaces as the mixed down pair, and have a mono 1/4" jacks for a main stereo out by default, like all my other gear. Guess I could always make a detachable box connected through the DB25 port with feedback pots, buffered inputs and individual outs...