BLM connection and config

maigre

Hi !

I'm starting my first MB Seq V4 with the BLM extension.

Now i got everything from SmashTV soldered and ready to implement into a box.

Of course i will first start to build up a case for the sequencer (..blm_scalar pieces are on there way..)

but this lead me to different questions :

Hardware

---------

The main way to connect the Core32 module to the Core8 which drive the BLM is Midi.

You give here a third midi connection dedicated to the BLM (http://www.ucapps.de/midibox_blm/blm_connector_mbseq.pdf)

which, if i well understand, combine a Midi In & Out + the 5V Power Supply.

What would be the connection on the Core8 side ?

Connect midi in & out resp. to the core8 midi ports and power supply to J2 as proposed for multi-core powering (Midibox SID e.g.) ?

Software

--------

* As i'd like to build a custom panel, i'm digging into the SeqV4 config file.

I'm not sure to exactly understand the addressing method of input & output.

I understand the pin number for each shift register, but not how shift register are numeroted..

Maybe you could light me on that !

* Also the BLM part of the SeqV4 config file is a bit confused to me :

why are we talking about shift register here ? is that not the job of the Core8 module ?

and so, why only 2 (or 4) SR ? there is 5*4 = 20 SR if you build the complete BLM_SCALAR Module ...

I'm a bit lost on this point..

* To use BLM, i have to upload BLM firmware into the core 8. Any config ? i guess not if i follow the wiring schematic given by TK..

Ok i think that's it for today :)

Thanks !

By the way, thanks to smashTv: kits are really well made, PCBs are great, everything is in there, and it's quit cheap. very good job !

And also thanks to everybody around here, this whole midibox project is really cool! (i will not say it on every post but i mean it :)

Best Regards,

Thomas

Hi Thomas,

The main way to connect the Core32 module to the Core8 which drive the BLM is Midi.

You give here a third midi connection dedicated to the BLM (http://www.ucapps.de/midibox_blm/blm_connector_mbseq.pdf)

which, if i well understand, combine a Midi In & Out + the 5V Power Supply.

What would be the connection on the Core8 side ?

Connect midi in & out resp. to the core8 midi ports and power supply to J2 as proposed for multi-core powering (Midibox SID e.g.) ?

Yes - to be more exact:

MBSEQ MIDI IN3 -> BLM MIDI OUT

MBSEQ MIDI OUT3 -> BLM MIDI IN

MBSEQ 5V Power -> BLM J2

* As i'd like to build a custom panel, i'm digging into the SeqV4 config file.

I'm not sure to exactly understand the addressing method of input & output.

I understand the pin number for each shift register, but not how shift register are numeroted..

Maybe you could light me on that !

SR counting starts at 1 (0 disables a button/LED function)

The first shift register (SR) is number 1, the second SR is number 2, etc

* Also the BLM part of the SeqV4 config file is a bit confused to me :

why are we talking about shift register here ? is that not the job of the Core8 module ?

and so, why only 2 (or 4) SR ? there is 5*4 = 20 SR if you build the complete BLM_SCALAR Module ...

I'm a bit lost on this point..

Please ignore this part - for historical reasons MBSEQ supports two different BLM extensions as well, but they are not so powerful as the BLM16x16+X

All parameters which are starting with BLM_* are intended for a 4x16 matrix - it's expired and only used by people who used this feature for their MBSEQ V3

All parameters which are starting with BLM8x8_* are only used by Wilba's Frontpanel to reduce the number of shift registers

* To use BLM, i have to upload BLM firmware into the core 8. Any config ? i guess not if i follow the wiring schematic given by TK..

The configuration of BLM16x16+X is very very simple! :)

Just select OUT3 for BLM_SCALAR in the MIDI->Misc menu - thereafter an auto detection will be started at this port and the BLM16x16+X will be configured remotely from MBSEQ V4

This picture shows how the menu page looks like:

midi4.gif

Best Regards, Thorsten.

• 1 month later...

Hi,

back again on my Midibox construction :)

I have a question about the DOUT adressing :

there is a line of 16 leds under GP's buttons,

but i can not find where and how they are adressed in the config file...

Also it seems to be dual color leds..

I do not use the WIlba PCB but i would like to obtain something similar

with classic DIN & DOUT modules.

any clue ?

Thanks !

Best Regards,

Thomas

Hi,

these are the wrong defines, because they are part of the old BLM driver, which is referenced, but not used at all (instead the new blm_scalar driver is used)

In order to make this clear, I removed all references to the old BLM driver and added all available defines to the Makefile:

http://svnmios.midibox.org/filedetails.php?repname=svn.mios&path=%2Ftrunk%2Fapps%2Fcontrollers%2Fblm_scalar%2FMakefile

Please update your svn repository, or download blm_scalar_v1_0a.zip from the MIOS download section

Best Regards, Thorsten.