12V power supply delivering 11.51V - bad?

Param1

*Sigh* I have a question again. I bought a stabilized 12V power supply (LINK) and plugged it in, without any electronic consumer behind it, and measured the Voltage. The result was 11,51V. I also have this 11.51 Voltage at certain points when I connect my not yet ready Sammich to it.

My questions are:

- Is the power supply malfunctioning?

- Could 11.51V be enough for the sammichSID if I only use 8580 Chips?

:question:

Thanks

Edited by Param1

those wallwarts often have some "tolerances". for example when i switch mine to 12V it produces >15V

but your voltage should be high enough for the 7809 to work. if not there should be no damage, it just doesn't work (at least with my modular mbsid)

if you don't use a 7812 (as the PSU is already regulated/stabilised) it might work with a 6581, but that's just an assumption. i haven't built a sammich, so maybe there are reasons against that.

Edited by rosch

I wouldn't say it's malfunctioning, it's just not very good tolerance. I would expect regulated supplies to have less than 5% tolerance.

It should be OK for 8580 SIDs. If you don't get high enough voltage going into the 7809, you can try putting shunts in JBP to bypass the bridge rectifier. You must make sure the tip is positive (+) if you do that, but it will then put your 11.51V directly into the 7809 instead of losing ~1.2V from the two diodes in the bridge rectifier.