SammichSID Rotary Encoder Dysfunction

martysomville

Hi there,

I finally finished my sammichSID. Everything is working pretty fine.

I was able to upload the *hex-file and the preset sounds.

The lights are blinking ... the sound is awesome! :-)

BUT there is a strange behavior of the rotary encoder. All other buttons "seem" to be working.

When I turn the rotary encoder right or left it does not change the preset. Instead the sound begins to play and I see a strange menu:

sammich1.jpg

The same menu appears when I press button F2.

When the menu appears I can use the rotary encoder to change the value (K#V).

VERY STRANGE! :-)

Any ideas?

I have another small question:

How can I reach Preset Bank B - D ?

I tried the UP/DOWN Buttons ... but I can only navigate from A001 to A128.

Thanks in advance!

Dennis

Edited by martysomville

Check you are installing setup_sammich_sid.hex (and not any other .hex file).

Check the resistor networks are oriented correctly, the dot on the resistor network must match the dot on the PCB.

You could have a short between the pins connected to the rotary encoder and pins connected to switches, but this seems unlikely, as they aren't close together.

Tell me what you see on the screen as it boots up (what screen is showing after the "MIOS" screen).

Thanks for the fast help!

BTW: Sorry for the bad photos ... better pics will follow if needed!

- I uploaded the right *.hex-File.

Here is the boot-screen:

sammich2.jpg

- The resistors do have the right orientation. (checked)

- There does not seem to be a short between the buttons or the encoder. (checked)

My idea is that there might be a short at the resistor 74HC165 where the rotary encoder is connected to ...

Could this be possible?

Button "F2" should jump to the Knobs page, but it should then show K#1 to K#5.

Confirm that "F2" jumps to the Knobs page and the first parameter is "K#2" not "K#1".

If that is true, I don't know how it gets scrolled one parameter.

Perhaps if F2 switch and an encoder pin are shorted, then maybe that's what is happening... turning encoder jumps to Knobs page, and then handles the scroll of that page.

Hmm... I don't know how shorts could cause the effects you are seeing.

Look at the PCB:

http://www.mb6582.org/sammichSID/sammichSID_CS_PCB.pdf

The 5 select buttons and 3 function buttons are handled by the 74HC165 on the left. The other 74HC165 handles the other four buttons on the right, and the rotary encoder.

All I can suggest right now is check that there are no shorts between the pins connected to switches and the rotary encoder.

Maybe try this app: http://midibox.org/forums/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_id=6823 which tests buttons and LEDs.

AFTER the "MIDIbox SID boot" this screen appears (as it should):

fs_main1.gif

Scenario 1:

When I press Button "F2" it jumps to the Knobs page: K#1 to K#5

Then when I move the rotary encoder I can edit K#5.

Scenario 2:

When I move the rotary encoder it jumps to the Knobs page: K#2 to K#V !!!

AND the sound begins to play! (Same as Button F1)

Then when I move the rotary encoder I can edit K#V.

Maybe there is a short between the Buttons F1/F2 and the rotary encoder. But I can't see it.

I also tried to change the two 74HC165 with each other ... no difference.

Thanks for your help! :-)

Is the 5th item (i.e. K#5 or K#V) value blinking while you are changing it with the encoder?

Probably not. If it was blinking, then that item would be selected and turning the encoder should change that parameter.

However, I suspect that somehow the code is interpreting the encoder as the 5th encoder in a full control surface, with the "Knobs" layer active.

i.e. If you have a full control surface with the "Knobs" layer active, and turn the knob labeled "Release"/"Pulse Width"/"Knob #5", then it should jump to the Knobs page and change "K#5".

Try this app: http://midibox.org/forums/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_id=6823 which tests buttons and LEDs and the encoder.

Turn the encoder and tell me what you see on the screen.

You can try all the buttons too and tell me what you see.

setup_sammich_sid.hex

=====================

The 5th item (i.e. K#5 or K#V) value is blinking while I am changing it with the encoder.

When I select another value (i.e. OSC) and want to change it with the rotary encoder, it jumps to the knobs-menu.

sammichCSTest.hex

=================

The lamps are working fine :-)

Here we go with the buttons:

- 4: Menu 1 pressed/released

- 5: Menu 2 pressed/released

- 6: Menu 3 pressed/released

- 7: Menu 4 pressed/released

- 0: Menu 5 pressed/released

- 3: F1 pressed/released

- 2: F2 pressed/released

- 1: F3 pressed/released

- 10: Shift pressed/released

- 8: Menu pressed/released

- 11: Down pressed/released

- 9: Up pressed/released

--> PERFECT! Everything working fine!

Now the rotary encoder:

Turn left -> 13: Encoder

Turn right -> 12: Encoder

BUT SOMETIMES:

14: Unused 1

15: Unused 2

There is the problem!!!

Edited by martysomville

Interesting...

DIN inputs 14 and 15 aren't used. Well, technically the 14 one is connected to a pad under the encoder in case you use an encoder with switch, which you didn't, so they both are unconnected to switches and thus you should never get inputs from them.

So...

Check RN4 is correctly oriented. Yes, again. :) You should be able to see the dot on the resistor network from that side.

Resolder the joints on RN4, and check there are no shorts between pins. Check RN4 pin 1 (next to dot) is connected to 5V. Resolder the IC pins connected to RN4.

Look at the PDF of the control surface PCB and check there is good continuity between the IC pins and RN4, where there are top layer tracks in red.

It's possible (but unlikely) that the resistor network in RN4 is faulty, but I would try other things before replacing it. You could double-check the part number, just in case you got the wrong part (maybe it was put into a bag of the right part at the factory? I dunno, just guessing. I only buy and pack one kind of resistor network!)

You could try to connect those "faulty" pins of IC2 to a 5V pin, using a 10K (or anything between 1K and 10K) resistor. It's safe to do this... you're just replicating what the resistor network is doing. The pins in question are pin 5 and 6 of IC2, which are connected to pin 4 and 5 of RN4 (counting from the common pin with the dot marker). You can connect to 5V at C2. I'm not suggesting you do this as a permanent fix, but if you do it and the tester doesn't show those "unused" events anymore, it confirms what is at fault, and you can then move to a more permanent fix, like replacing RN4 perhaps.

• 9 months later...