rip instruments from .sid files?

sweetsynthchuck

There is no utility which would allow you to directly rip the sounds, but you could use siddump to get a trace of all register changes, and then setup your patch accordingly.

I also wrote a perl script which simplifies the conversion, but it might be too difficult to use...

See also: http://www.ucapps.de/howto_sid_wavetables_1.html

(note: these tutorials are written for MBSID V1; wavetables have been enhanced in MBSID V2, and for drums it got a dedicated engine)

Best Regards, Thorsten.

i have seen a few videos on vimeo

in this video theres a dos box that i presumme is all the info being fed into sammichsid,

SID players which provide the ASID protocol can playback most of the .sid files on a sammichSID via MIDI.

See also

and

how programmable is the korg kontrol can it utilise all of the sammichsid functions?

The controller was always running with the same configuration. I programmed the parameter assignments in the KNB menu of my MBSID instead, and stored them together with the patch, because this is much more flexible, and it especially shows me the parameter names instead of abstract numbers.

Btw.: my Korg Microkontrol is damaged meanwhile, I can't really recommend to buy it. First every 8th key stopped working, by knowing that it must be related to the scan matrix I debugged this with a scope and found a bad solder joint on the PCB which was easily fixed. Some months later certain buttons stopped working, but I wasn't able to fix this anymore. :-(

Also softwarewise it isn't so flexible as it could be. E.g., the LCD displays only show fixed (useless) names like Volume and Panorama...

I already considered to replace the logic board by a core module, and to write an alternative firmware. ;-)

Best Regards, Thorsten.

i found a tool called sid2midi it allows you to dump sids to midi or a txt file, is there any way i can decither the voice settings within these files?

no, sid2midi only tries to extract notes (and note lengths + modulations), but it doesn't analyze the sounds.

when a sammich is in sid play mode, does the software allow browsing the voices to see voice settings could this be done?

No, the ASID play mode itself doesn't process the content of a .sid file, it receives SID register changes from the host (running on your Mac/PC) and forwards them to the SID chips - nothing else.

Best Regards, Thorsten.

• 2 weeks later...

upon deeper searching i found a few tools on this site

http://www.tednilsen.com/

one captures data that is availible and the other called a hardsid ripper, only a video is availible but its basically the kind of tool im after

is there any app or tool that alows users to see voice data and manually programme that into say a editor or onboard a sammich to use?

thanks

chuck