SammichSID rotary encoder problem

tassadar1977

I'm a little bit baffled. I'm not an electronics guy, but everything else on the sammichSID works fine except the rotary encoder.

I've noticed that occasionally that the patches scroll through of their own accord. When I switch it on and off, the encoder works in one direction only. Sometimes, just not at all. Mostly I would describe its behaviour as 'erratic'.

When I select patches from software / MIDI controller there's no problem.

I've checked for shorts and I've touched up all points that look like they're not 100%, but otherwise perhaps someone can point out something I can't see.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

Just a short question: did you also check that the encoder pins don't touch the heatsinks of the baseboard?

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Thanks for the reply Thorsten.

Just checked the heatsink, nothing touching there... although now I notice the bottom buttons beneath the encoder have also stopped working. I guess this does point to a short somewhere...

There seems to be some excess flux on the backside of the control surface pcb, as well on the frontside (near J1)... maybe you can try cleaning it:

Also some of the solder points don´t look 100% optimal, maybe you can reheat them, suck away the solder (with a vacuum pump) and resolder them (especially around the encoder and the resistor networks RN1-4).

Make sure your soldering iron tip is cleaned before soldering.

Greetz,

Peter

You may have a faulty encoder. If the problem persists after cleaning up solder joints, the best solution is remove it cleanly (chop off pins above PCB, desolder pins one at a time) and replace it with a new one, which I can post to you.