Fast Scan Matrix Example

robinfawell

I have completed the digital piano project in terms of my original needs. I have just added 2 midi channels so that I can split the keyboard. This additional work is partially coded.

However I want to play a Hammond Organ, DX7 and Prophet softsynth that I purchased a few years ago. I need to incorporate a organ type "swell" pedal into the system. This is just a volume control.

I will use the foot pedal to control the generation of the appropriate Midi CC.

The distance from the main board to the pedal is about 1 metre. My belief is that a digital solution would be better than an analog one.

I have no familiarity with faders or encoders. Are there "smooth" rotary switches? Are these method worth considering? Or are there other alternatives? I have a foot controlled pedal from an old organ that uses a potentiometer.

Thanks for your help.

Robin

Edited by robinfawell

Hi Robin,

Probably pedal -> analog potentiometer -> ain -> core -> midi is the way to go...

Methinks that there are no encoders offering the resolution you need (128 steps for the full pedal travel).

Best regards,

Peter

Edited by Hawkeye

Hi Robin,

I agree with Peter.

If you are using a potentiometer with lower resistance (1k is the ideal value in your case), and connect it to the core via a shielded cable, it should work without jitter.

Best Regards, Thorsten.