International ordering from Reichelt

Scuzzle

Hi Folks,

I'm just starting out and this is my first post to the forums, so I thought I'd start it with a *Hi* to everyone who reads them. I've been busy reading over previous posts and you all seem pretty friendly :).

And I must say a big thanks to Thorsten for putting together such a collosal effort as this.

Oh, yes, back to my actual question...

I'm in the UK and I've been putting together a list of suppliers for the various bits and pieces I'm going to need to start experimenting with MIOS.

There are a number of suppliers in the UK, for examples www.rswww.com (A bit expensive) or http://www.rapidelectronics.co.uk/ (Not very complete).

A better bet seems to be to order from http://www.reichelt.de/ in Germany. The problem here seems to be paying for the goods  :(.

After chatting to a nice lady from Reichelt on the phone it turns out that the only way I can pay them is International Bank Transfer to their German bank account once I have recieved a pro-forma invoice from them with all the costs added.

International bank transfers cost me £14 (GBP) a shot, about 20 Euro. And it just seems like money down the drain to me  >:(.

So the question, at long last  :-[, has anyone in the UK found a better way of buying from Reichelt, or maybe would recommend a different supplier in the UK?

I'm considering the merits of trying to open a German bank account and paying them from there, but I'm not sure what European bank laws are like. I have a sneaking suspicion that I may be breaking some law or other to open a bank account in Germany, if I'm not actually a resident there.

Well, thanks for taking the time to read, and I'll hope to be a little more active in the community when I get things started.

Hi Folks,

I'm just starting out and this is my first post to the forums, so I thought I'd start it with a *Hi* to everyone who reads them. I've been busy reading over previous posts and you all seem pretty friendly :).

And I must say a big thanks to Thorsten for putting together such a collosal effort as this.

Oh, yes, back to my actual question...

I'm in the UK and I've been putting together a list of suppliers for the various bits and pieces I'm going to need to start experimenting with MIOS.

There are a number of suppliers in the UK, for examples www.rswww.com (A bit expensive) or http://www.rapidelectronics.co.uk/ (Not very complete).

A better bet seems to be to order from http://www.reichelt.de/ in Germany. The problem here seems to be paying for the goods  :(.

After chatting to a nice lady from Reichelt on the phone it turns out that the only way I can pay them is International Bank Transfer to their German bank account once I have recieved a pro-forma invoice from them with all the costs added.

International bank transfers cost me £14 (GBP) a shot, about 20 Euro. And it just seems like money down the drain to me  >:(.

So the question, at long last  :-[, has anyone in the UK found a better way of buying from Reichelt, or maybe would recommend a different supplier in the UK?

I'm considering the merits of trying to open a German bank account and paying them from there, but I'm not sure what European bank laws are like. I have a sneaking suspicion that I may be breaking some law or other to open a bank account in Germany, if I'm not actually a resident there.

Well, thanks for taking the time to read, and I'll hope to be a little more active in the community when I get things started.

Hey...

I've ordered from Reicfelt a few times here in the UK by making payment via post - I just send the naked cash (EU) in an envelope as an International Signed For letter....

Costs about 3quid (with insurance)...cheaper then the bank :) the money grabbin swines that they are...!

Nice

dan

Hey...

I've ordered from Reicfelt a few times here in the UK by making payment via post - I just send the naked cash (EU) in an envelope as an International Signed For letter....

Costs about 3quid (with insurance)...cheaper then the bank :) the money grabbin swines that they are...!

Nice

dan

If GB would join the Euro, stuff like this would be much easier. No charge for international bank transfers. Nice...

To your idea with the bank account: I should be possible for you to open a german bank account. I have one in Great Britain and live in Germany ;) But the next problem would be getting the money in the bank account etc... If you want more infos: http://www.diba.de

So basically: Britain - join the Euro!  ;D

If GB would join the Euro, stuff like this would be much easier. No charge for international bank transfers. Nice...

To your idea with the bank account: I should be possible for you to open a german bank account. I have one in Great Britain and live in Germany ;) But the next problem would be getting the money in the bank account etc... If you want more infos: http://www.diba.de

So basically: Britain - join the Euro!  ;D

The way I did it (living in Holland) was to arrange for a German friend of mine to pay the goods for me. So the billing address was different from the delivery address.

You could maybe arrange it with one of the German people here to send the money naked (in a well-sealed envelope). Then you place your order, specifying the details of the German person and of course your own delivery address.

As soon as the German person has payed, they will ship it to you, insured and all.

Now all you have to do is find a nice person from Germany, that shouldn't be too hard  ;)

The way I did it (living in Holland) was to arrange for a German friend of mine to pay the goods for me. So the billing address was different from the delivery address.

You could maybe arrange it with one of the German people here to send the money naked (in a well-sealed envelope). Then you place your order, specifying the details of the German person and of course your own delivery address.

As soon as the German person has payed, they will ship it to you, insured and all.

Now all you have to do is find a nice person from Germany, that shouldn't be too hard  ;)