Bootloader Make issues...

Duggle

I'm making a modified Bootloader to (hopefully) enable upload of apps from all UARTs (i.e UART0,UART1,UART2).

Anyhow, I've hit a problem with make of the (unmodified) Bootloader:

First of all these compiler warnings:

Creating object file for mios32_midi.c

/MIOS32prj/mios32/trunk/mios32/common/mios32_midi.c: In function 'MIOS32_MIDI_SYSEX_Cmd':

/MIOS32prj/mios32/trunk/mios32/common/mios32_midi.c:1494:3: warning: implicit declaration of function 'BSL_SYSEX_Cmd'

/MIOS32prj/mios32/trunk/mios32/common/mios32_midi.c: In function 'MIOS32_MIDI_SYSEX_Cmd_Query':

/MIOS32prj/mios32/trunk/mios32/common/mios32_midi.c:1577:4: warning: implicit declaration of function 'BSL_SYSEX_ReleaseHaltState'

Then an error with the perl generator part:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Application successfully built for:

Processor: STM32F103RB

Family:    STM32F10x

Board: 	MBHP_CORE_STM32

LCD:   	dummy

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

arm-none-eabi-size project_build/project.elf

text   	data    	bss    	dec    	hex	filename

16088 		80   	5784  	21952   	55c0	project_build/project.elf

make[2]: Leaving directory `H:/MIOS32prj/sw/Controller/Bootloader'

mv project_build/project.bin project_MBHP_CORE_STM32.bin

perl gen_inc_file.pl project_MBHP_CORE_STM32.bin mios32_bsl_MBHP_CORE_STM32.inc mios32_bsl_image mios32_bsl

process_begin: CreateProcess(NULL, perl gen_inc_file.pl project_MBHP_CORE_STM32.bin mios32_bsl_MBHP_CORE_STM32.inc mios32_bsl_image mios32_bsl, ...) failed.

make[1]: Leaving directory `H:/MIOS32prj/sw/Controller/Bootloader'

make (e=2): The system cannot find the file specified.

make[1]: *** [MBHP_CORE_STM32] Error 2

make: *** [MBHP_CORE_STM32] Error 2

**** Build Finished ****

Are the compiler warnings a problem?

I'm not sure whats going on with the perl part. sad.png

I'm assuming the generated *.inc file is necessary for apps to be built with, so that they are able to be loaded by the new bootloader?

Thanks

The warnings can be ignored.

For the perl part I fear that it will only work under Linux or MacOS.

Expert tip: you could install Ubuntu on a virtual machine, such as Virtual Box: https://www.virtualbox.org/

By putting the MIOS32 svn tree on a shared drive, the Windows based MIOS Studio version can access the new build! :)

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Thanks for the advise!

It sounds like a big investment of time because I've hardly used Linux. I don't imagine that I will be compiling many bootloaders.

Is there a way I can hack a cludge into the perl script to get me going? (even if it only works for this one project!)

What happens if you call this command line directly:

perl gen_inc_file.pl project_MBHP_CORE_STM32.bin mios32_bsl_MBHP_CORE_STM32.inc mios32_bsl_image mios32_bsl

If this doesn't help, just write down the required changes and I will create the binary for you.

Best Regards, Thorsten.

That's a great offer, thanks Thorsten, HOWEVER, the install of perl on this machine is BROKEN (perl not found)whistle.png.The invocation within the makefile leads to a terse error message.

(Funny because I used the perl scripts to compile banks for my old Midibox64 just early last year....)

Firstly I'll reinstall and report back!!!

Yup, perl not in path.

Project makes all the files.

I'll have to edit the relative paths in the makefiles because I've copied the bootloader source directory to another location.

I'll end up putting the modified bootloader in all my STM32 cores so that apps get compiled with the right (the same) *bsl*.inc which is for the modified bootloader.

Next task is to flash and test the bootloader.

Edited by Duggle