questionable sid chip

Guest 123

I bought a C64 off ebay that is in really bad shape(I got burned).The machine does not fire up,and there are signs of past water/moisture damage and some corrosion.I pulled the 6581 out and am wondering if it would be a bad idea to put it into a sid module.If there is something wrong with the chip,what are the chances  of it damaging the sid & core modules?.Anyone have any idea?

Is there maybe a way to test the chip first?What do you guys think I should do?I can not afford to fry my future modules.I allready have another chip that is probobly fine,I was going to use the other one to make another sid in the future.

Hey, the first C64 I bought had the sid soldered on it. I thought I could get it out quicker by using a torch instead of unsoldering each pin. Bad IDEA! I thought I had fried it and so I threw it in a drawer. After I built my sid module, I used a different sid, but on a whim I threw the other one in and it worked fine. I guess they are pretty tough chips. I would try it. Get your module working good with your other one and then swap the old one in. I don't think you'll fry your module if the chip is bad. Good luck...

Justin