Self made Core32

dsm

Hi , my first post , sorry for my poor english but after several successful experiments in the MidiBox world ( Pic based Core ) , i failed with Core32.

My schematic derives from the original MBHP_CORE_STM32 except for some difference and omissions ,STM32F103RBT6 instead of "RE",

no SD interface, no lcd, no jtag, etc. and relative components like pull_up resistors and other.

This is not my first SMT project and everything seems ok, but ....

1° step : Upload MIOS32 bootloader with Flash Loader from STMicroelectronics , OK

2° step : Power cycle with boot jumper in NORMAL MODE no signs o flife , no led flashing, no USB recognition

3° step : Power cycle with boot jumper in HOLD MODE MIOS Studio 2 recognizes the core as "USB Speaker" ( Windows XP ? ),

reports correct operating system, board, etc. but a wrong ram size, over 60 MB !!

4° step : I try to load an application previously compiled successfully, no errors reports but nothing changes from previous step

When I compiled my test application with success (011_ain from programming tutorial) in the environment variables I specified the type of processor, it is sufficient?

The different processor "RB" instead of "RE" require other particular settings ?

If I fried the processor, this behavior is not strange?

Someone has an idea, suggestions ?

Thanks for reading.

post-6155-0-46829800-1331383107_thumb.jp

core32.pdf

Edited by dsm

Hi,

the STM32F103RB is a very limited processor, it has only 128k flash and especially only 20kb RAM (instead of 64kb of the RE).

Therefore it normally doesn't make much sense to save 1..2$ -> just use the RE and you are fully binary compatible.

I fear that most "real" applications won't run on the RB, and as you already noticed, you will also find incompatibility issues and "random effects"

I guess that they are mostly related to RAM overruns if you are trying to run an application compiled for RE on a RB.

Due to historical reasons I've a special linker file under etc/ld/STM32F10x/STM32F103RB.ld which is suitable for the limited memory specs.

It will be automatically selected if MIOS32_PROCESSOR is set to STM32F103RB instead of STM32F103RE

After this change, type "make clean", and thereafter "make" to recompile the complete application.

I don't know if this change is sufficient, since I haven't tried this since more than 2 years...

If the application is too big, the linker will fail.

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Hi thorsten thanks for the answer, I chose the version "RB" because I needed a very simple application and a USB device, and also to give it a try.

So having these limits I'll try the upgrade, but desoldering .....

Ok, no problem, thanks again, Bye.