sammichFM Audio 5V @ 1.10V

f_unkymunky

Just got around to putting the kit together but unfortunately I'm having a few issues. My original problem was that I have no audio from 1/2. I think that 3/4 were working correctly (I got what I expected from the socket) and all menu function worked through testing. From reading around the forums I figured it could be a cold solder on one of the op-amps or something. I redid some soldering that looked untidy and checked continuity. No shorts between Audio 5V, Digital 5V or OPL3 5V. When I switched it back on to test 1/2, I found that I had now disabled 3/4. Currently I can hear a really low distorted output from 1/2 now but it sounds way off, I have no output from 3/4. I opened to check my 5V. I get 5.06V on both OPL3 5V and Digital 5V but I am only getting 1.10V on the Audio 5V. I noticed that the regulator (IC3) was very hot so I disconnected the power. I removed the jumper for audio 5V and checked the regulator output, I was at 4.97V which leads me to believe the regulator is working ok. So do I have a damaged op-amp/DAC that is pulling my 5V to ground? Any idea how I could trouble shoot further?

Sounds like a short between ground and audio 5V. Which might already have killed the little regulator... Look for shorts on the opamps (check continuity) - if/when that's all good/fixed, replace the opamp and try again.