another power supply question

Guest 123

Can I use any 14-15V AC 500ma power supply to power both the core and sid(w/6581 ) modules at the same time?I think I read somewhere in here that using this is more noisy than a C64 power supply.Is this really true?

Also,how do I connect it to the 2 modules(or where can I find out)?Does it just connect into a power switch/power led/fuse and then into the 2 modules power supply pins,and if so,what goes to which pins?I hope this isn't a stupid question.

you can power both modules with the same transformer or wallwart for both modules. 14-15V AC (!!!before!!! the regulation unit) are required for a good and noiseless sound.

Hook the wallwart output to J1 on the core and J1 on the SID as well. The polarity doesn't matter since you have the bridge rectifier.

Yes (in my experience) this is noisier than the optimized PSU which I highly recommend. You can use the wallwart to get up and running, and then when you get your hands on a C64 PSU, use it. That is what I did.

Justin

Hey!

I already built both and tested it out: With an connected Control Surface.

First, the 7805 of the core REALLY gets hot (15 V down to 5 V !!! Thats 1 W pure heat per 100 mA!!!), I recommend an additional 7809 unit before it (so the most heat goes there). On both regulators a heatsink should be attached (should be??? MUST!)

And: You need about 800 mA (with a veeery moderate backlight setting) up to about 1A for running both.

Anyhow I really do recommend using TK's solution as the 50 Hz humming gets really high if you use one weak power supply. I'm still experimenting and already found kinda solution, but it's still not what I'm looking for. I'll still experiment a little bit.

Greets

pay-c: So you think I should add an additional 7809 and heat sinks even with the C64psu?

If so,where/how should I wire that in ? Also,I don't know anything about heat sinks(mouser part# ?)or how to install them,so it would be cool if you could explain.I appreciate your help.

No I believe he is talking about using a wallwart. If you use the C64 PSU you don't need any heatsinks, all the heat is in the PSU. I don't have any heatsinks on mine, and the regulators don't get hot at all. If you do use a wallwart, then you can buy heat sinks at Radioshack for pretty cheap, or scavenge them from broken equipment. in a pinch, you can even make your own by drilling a hole in a rectangular piece of metal and then bending it into a U: |_| . Installation is just a matter of bolting the heatsink to the regulator with a small bolt and nut.

Mouser:

http://www.mouser.com/index.cfm?handler=displayproduct&lstdispproductid=322638&e_categoryid=80&e_pcodeid=5321

part num 532-507302B00