MIOS Studio with Juce 2.0

atom

I thought i'll get back to my sid after over a year of doing nothing. I noticed the MIOS Studio uses the very old 1.52 version of JUCE, i thought i'd port it to the new 2.0 version and add a Introjucer project for anyone interested. The sources are attached, it's based on the latest git version of juce at the day i'm posting this.

Need to get my LCD running, the core is set up, the studio hangs a lot on my ESI M8U XL on win7 64 when exiting, actually the hang happens when the device is beeing changed it does not need to be exit, it hangs never being able to close the device. I haven't looked at the Studio code itself, my Ctrlr app doing open/close never dies on the same devices and i'm using the same JUCE code so i'm guessing you might be doing something before closing the devices that causes the hang.

mios_studio.7z

Thanks for the changes!

But I'm very careful with "2.0" versions (and as you mentioned, the Windows crash still happens).

Beside of this minor issue, which only happens under Windows, and which is probably related to a stupid error in my code, but doesn't affect the actual handling during runtime (only exit of application) there is no need for an update.

I'm even more careful with "latest git versions", because using such undefined sources usually lead to a disaster when multiple people are trying to build the code some weeks or months later -> never use such versions for public releases...!

So, I will give 2.1 a try once it's available, and then incorporate your changes into the original code.

Until then, I prefer a stable version which has been proven by many MIDIbox users under Mac/Windows/Linux in the past.

Best Regards, Thorsten.

I agree i just saw some MIDI fixes on the MAC and i know you use the MAC so it might help out later on. Also i was wondering was there ever a problem when sending large programs to the CORE, i'm able to upload a small app (lcd test, or the midi monitor hex). When uploading the SID application i get an error at about 23% always.

I agree i just saw some MIDI fixes on the MAC and i know you use the MAC so it might help out later on.

There are no issues with the MIDI handling on Mac with Juce 1.52.

So, if they are doing changes then these are either enhancements of features which are not used by MIOS Studio, and/or bugfixes of such functions.

One more reason to wait for a stable release which has been pre-tested by software experts, no need to load the MIDIbox community with such trouble... ;-)

Also i was wondering was there ever a problem when sending large programs to the CORE, i'm able to upload a small app (lcd test, or the midi monitor hex). When uploading the SID application i get an error at about 23% always.

Does this happen with your private build, or with the official build of MIOS Studio?

If private build: try the official build, there are no known code upload issues.

If official build: check the power supply of the core, maybe it's too weak? E.g. measure the voltage at J2 - it should be 5V before and during code upload.

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Does this happen with your private build, or with the official build of MIOS Studio?

If private build: try the official build, there are no known code upload issues.

If official build: check the power supply of the core, maybe it's too weak? E.g. measure the voltage at J2 - it should be 5V before and during code upload.

Best Regards, Thorsten.

It happens both with my and your builds on Win64, it looks weird i'll try to submit a dump of what's happening, the voltages seem fine i did the optimized C64 PSU and it seems to work and am using that for my tests.

It happens both with my and your builds on Win64, it looks weird i'll try to submit a dump of what's happening, the voltages seem fine i did the optimized C64 PSU and it seems to work and am using that for my tests.

Could it be that you are using a PIC18F452 (has only 32k Flash) instead of PIC18F4685 (has 96k Flash)

This could explain why the upload is failing after 23%, because (considered that around 12k is allocated by MIOS and won't be overwritten by the app)

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Could it be that you are using a PIC18F452 (has only 32k Flash) instead of PIC18F4685 (has 96k Flash)

This could explain why the upload is failing after 23%, because (considered that around 12k is allocated by MIOS and won't be overwritten by the app)

Best Regards, Thorsten.

yup that's the case, need to get the newer PIC i guess ?