MIDIbox physical skins (interchangeable overlays)

Duggle

hi

I have build a MIDIbox64 which is very compact. I have scanned my front panel and I can use this as a template to create custom "skins".

(See 2nd picture midibox64 on keyboard)

http://www.midibox.org/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=gallery;action=display;num=1065048413

The images on the left show a paper overlay over the pots section.

The idea is to print (colour bitmap) graphics with text for each knob and button to work effectively in a particular bank (eg VSTi synth, mixer desk, analog sequencer,..etc)

The overlays can be printed with a colour inkjet using banner paper of normal A4 width. It can be laminated with plastic film for little cost.

The design challenge is to devise a way to make holes for 64 pots (8mm) and 30 buttons (14mm). I can make the rectangular hole for the display with a knife and ruler.

I'm thinking of some kind of hole punch tool that can efficiently cut paper/plastic film with a minimum time and effort. I would like to be able to knock up a skin for a new bank with the minimum of fuss.    

If anyone has ideas on hole punching methods, I'd be greatful.

Anyhow, I hope this provides inspiration

cheers

DrB, I like the idea to cut slots for groups of pots, unfortunately the buttons on my box are relatively large in the relation to the spaces around them. This would not leave much material for the text to be on. Then again this may be the way to go.

Unfortunately most LCD's arent very compact (meaning they require space beyond the profile of the screen. This means that there would need to be lots of space around the controls. Mackie use a long thin display something like a 40*2 and positon a row of 8 encoders in front. I like this.

Perhaps 40*2 display for every row of 8 encoders.  

cheers