Seq V4 seq_core_trk_muted when switching from and to song screen

pcbatterij

Hey,

I have been programming a bit more on my mb909 control surface for the SeqV4.

And I noticed that when you do not clear the mutes at the end of a song or moving away from the song screen for example when in pause,

the seq_core_trk_muted stays as it was in the song screen.

I do not know if this is because I have already changed quiet a bit of code or if it is so in the SeqV4 firmware.

I have added this bit of code in the seq_ui.c file.

Does it seem like a good idea or might this be counter-productive for most users?

Cheers,

Jef

s32 SEQ_UI_PageSet(seq_ui_page_t page)

{

if( page != ui_page ) {

if (page == SEQ_UI_PAGE_SONG && SEQ_SONG_ActiveGet()== 0){

ui_song_prev_mute = seq_core_trk_muted;

}

if (ui_page == SEQ_UI_PAGE_SONG && SEQ_SONG_ActiveGet()== 0){

seq_core_trk_muted = ui_song_prev_mute;

}

Tk,

I added the code, including SEQ_SONG_ActiveGet()== 0 because I only want the seq_core_trk_muted set back to the previous state when not in Song Mode. (I often forget to go back to phrase mode before leaving the song screen and that in the end I would take over the mutes from the song screen).

Without the code I added, I think you'll always keep the mutes from the song screen in seq_core_trk_muted, if I'm not mistaking.

Cheers,

Jef

Yes of course, there are no "shadowed" mutes for song mode, they are just controlled from the song list.

Your modification can cause the problem that Mutes could get inconsistent over long term, because the user isn't aware of this dependency (mutes copied only if song is not playing)

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Your idea doesn't harmonize with the initial concept behind Song/Phrase mode, therefore there won't be a proper solution.

In distance, with such an automation you are adding new cases which might be annoying or confusing, such as:

- unintended re-latching of mutes if the user temporary switches to another page (e.g. mixer page, or effects), and back to song page while song is playing

- mutes could have been latched for a different pattern set with a different organization of instruments, so that the expired setup will mute different instruments

- actually I think it's much better if the pattern set and mute setup stays active at the end of a song, e.g. it allows to continue jamming live ("encore!")

What are the advantages of this restore operation, and compare it with the disadvantages.

Note: if somebody just wants to mute all tracks, or unmute all tracks for editing purposes, he could use the appr. functions in the Utility menu (GP15 and GP16)

Best Regards, Thorsten.