SID v2 with a R3A SID module not communicating *solved*

Ajax

hey guys, i was wondering if someone wouldnt mind helping me troubleshoot, i recently built a SID module from smashTV (rev 3A), I have the optimal power situation setup (using a 8580), and i was doing the SID interconnection test program, went through pins A0 to D7, and none of them sent me any voltage at all, though the vdd to vss sends me a perfect 9V, and vcc to vdd sends a fine 5V, any help would be greatly appreciated :D, i'm thinking that possibly my inter-core connection is wrong, would it not a be a 1 to 1 connection from J10 of the core (rev 4D from smashTV) to J2 of the SID?

just for some additional info heres how i have it wired-

J10 J2

-

VD- Vc

CLK- CLK

MU- MU

MD- SC

Vs- Vs

SC- (blank?)

RC- RC

SO- SO

any help is greatly appreciated :D

also a random question: would a bit of water damage destroy a LPC? 5 minutes after unboxing my new LPC for my newly built SEQv4L my girlfriend spilled water all over it (while i was flashing it)

-ajax

Edited by Ajax

upon further playing around i added PIC2 and PIC3 which while using the interconnection app gives me a steady 5V on A0 through A4, thoung the D0-7 are giving me nothing at all

-ajax

edit: i was getting very none stable results from my sid intrconnection tests and found that my pin headers from the core to the SID module where loose, so i redid them and am getting perfect response on the interconnection test and the power reading while running the SID v2 app, though once i plug it into a preamp all i get is some high pitch buzzing, then if i send a midi note to it it gives a quick click that sounds just like a single square pulse, and while the button is held down the hi-frequency noise goes away, but when i release the midi note it gives me another click and the noise comes back, any ideas?

additional finding: the static seems to be generated from the midi to usb convertor that i'm using, once i unplug it from the computer the sound stops, also i can tap it and it pops a bit... shiggity :(

-ajax

Edited by Ajax

okay, after lots of head scratching and working through my core i have found that my J9:SC and J10:SC (which are connected together) give a 0.58v reading while using the srio interconnection application, though the RC and SO pins on J9 both work just fine, i traced the 0.58v reading back to IC1:RD3, which i then checked for shorts and bad joints, of which i found none. any idea what this might be caused by? i figure this is what is making both my SID module and my DIN modules bug out. is my PIC just dead? guess i'm going to have to pull up some datasheets :P but any help is greatly appreciated :D

edit: it's a PIC18F4685 from smashTV, bought a few years ago and has lived in my closet since my first clash with this not working DIN plug, just fyi ;]

-ajax

Edited by Ajax

figured it out thanks to smashTV, so for future readers this is a BIG part if you dont want random errors: MAKE SURE TO RUN YOUR LCD IN 4 BIT MODE! this means you have to cut four of the wires that would normally be attached between your core and lcd module, as well as a diode and a resistor for what i guess is shorting protection. look at this: http://www.ucapps.de/midibox_sid/mbsid_v2_communication.pdf

but yea, one sid module working now, my J9:SC is still messed up for some reason (thinking it's a broken pin on the PIC), so no control surface yet, will wire up a basic CS with the J5 tomorrow though and build my second sid module :D

BIG THANKS TO SMASHTV! very useful guy and was more than willing to give time to help me troubleshoot

EDIT: I got a new PIC in and it doesn't fix my din issue, investigation will continue for faulty core board stuffs.

SUCCESS: so this whole time i've been wiring the DIN module wrong, didn't know that you had to wire to the J1 on the pins that are farther out from the center, feel like a fool, but very happy to have a working control surface, as well as an extra PIC to do something with :D

-ajax

Edited by Ajax