which pots?

airmailed

hi there..

i'm writing to ask which kind of pots are good to use on a midibox.

i see that some people use 10k and remember reading that 100k were not so good... how about 50k?

opitec, a german supplier have some on special this week, 100k and 47k pots with what looks like a very long stem, for about 75% off...

http://db.opitec.com/cgi/IOFRAME?&P_L=E&P_S=E&P_V=3585226-&P_P=IOIAHS&P_1=&P_2=&P_3=&P_4=&P_5=&P_6=

bye for now

best wishes

Adam

Hi

I've used 20K pots on my MB64 which works fine. Don't go for 100k's!!!. 47k maybe alright, but is most likley the upper limit. If I remember corretly TK once told me that he used 47k pots on his first MB.

The reason that lower values are prefered is that "pot jitter" can become a serious issue with large values.

Have you finished your core yet? If so you could head off to your local electronic shop and buy a 47k pot to test. If you can find a surplus electronics store near you i suggest that you try there first.

Word of warning. It pays to use well known brands such as Alps. They are well made and have "good feel" to the movment. Almost every console i've every serviced use Alps pots, faders and swithchs, so that has to say something about the quality.

Hope some of this info is helpful

Rowan

i'm totally new to this, and am still investigating...so i don't have any parts yet.

i have a rough figure of about euro 120,- for a 32 knob box, calculated from the prices on the homepage.. does this sound accurate? this is just for knobs and a basic enclosure, and excludes any tools needed.

i have pretty much zero experience with electronics... i really like the idea of making equipment and this looks like an ideal project for me... i have a groovebox and a keyboard but would like better controls... i'm thinking to make a box with knobs and an octave or so of big buttons to use as keys.. i like the idea of using those big buttons from jamma videogame machines!

Testing one pot first sounds like a good idea... but when i see these good deals on pots i want to buy 35 right away!

i am looking at the changelog for the mb right now, and thorsten mentions that a jitter filter is no longer needed because of the new 10 bit resolution...

on another post on here somebody talks about using extra earthing techniques to get rid of jitter...

did you (or anybody else) use this when building your box? does it work without the use of the ferrite beads or whatever it was?

and how has anyone found building this box? was it straightforward? has anybody had any real disasters?

i'm curious to find out all this stuff before beginning...

best wishes

Adam

Hi.

Opitec seems to be a UK-based company. Anyway, those are a good value for money (£0,28). I pay ?1,35 each for the same pots.

But I don't recommend to use those:

OK, a long plastic stem, but it has to be shortened as it's kind of wobbly.

Those also have "strange" feel, even after lubricating with CRC ;) It's hard to make small adjustments accurately.

Ok, hope this helped,

Samppa

hi there

thanks for the reply, opitec do have a uk office, the main warehouse is in germany... i don't know the exact web address, maybe www.opitec.de or www.de.opitec.com or just www.opitec.com

they are an educational supplier who also sells to private individuals..... they sell a whole range of creative type stuff, tools for most crafts, metalworking, electronics, lots of different art materials, in the uk a lot of their stuff is much much cheaper than in local shops

I thought they would be worth mentioning here as another source of parts.. they only have a small range of components but a lot of other things which may be useful in this type of project (or just for making nice things)... they have offices in most EU countries, all except portugal and ireland i think, I find them  quick and good value..

every friday they send out an email with new special offers.. those pots were on sale this week, some good stuff does appear there from time to time... and some really tasteless garbage too ;-)

best wishes

Adam

PS... i've just found some nice ones on ebay, i just bought most of them but there are  10 left now, they are in the uk, do a search for 50k ALPS Potentiometer to find them... £0.20 each... ;-)