Did I just corrupt the firmware on my Sammich?

perplx

So my sammichSID had been working perfectly for years. Yesterday, it suddenly started to show messages like it was updating the firmware, even though I hadn't sent it any. I got scared, unplugged the power and the MIDI, and powered it back on. The right-side SID chip's filter no-longer worked. :pinch:

So I start to think, "It may not be a good idea to put the Sammich in a MIDI-thru chain right after two Shruthi-1's connected in poly-chain mode; maybe all the SysEx sent with a generic manufacturer ID got the Sammich confused. Maybe it received something meant for the second Shruthi and interpreted it as a firmware upload." So I fired up MIOS Studio, established communication, and sent a real firmware update.

The update process looked like it worked, but now, after showing the MIOS 1.9 screen, it's stuck on "Launching CS", won't respond to MIOS studio, and makes no sound. :frantics:

I tried uploading the firmware blind, but it gets no reaction from the Sammich. Now, I'm very deeply attached to my Sammich, it's been very good to me. I figured I'd ask about the proper course of action before I make things even worse. Is there a way to yell at the PIC loud enough that I can re-upload the firmware? Should I / Could I just get a new PIC to make the problem go away?