pcb sizes

arumblack

ok, i'm getting an order ready, and i want to order copper clad boards to make my pcb's....

what size should i get? will all the modules fit on a 4x6 inch board? or should i order larger boards and cut them down to size needed? how hard is this stuff to cut?( i have a tile cutting saw, could i use that?) iam going to be building a mbsid with four sids, and a jdm. i also want to build more stuff so i was thinking to order extra now at a quantity discount.any advice apreciated. also to make the boards i just need ferric chloride to etch? i will be using the toner transfer method.

I strongly reccommend that you purchase the pre-made PCB's from Mike, or SmashTV, as there is a lot of holes to drill, and making PCB's is a time consuming process.

The size you will need if you do make your own depends on which and how many modules you need. Probably easier than the toner transfer method is the product called Press'n'Peel, but it is expensive, but it is still tricky, and on one of my boards, I had to spend hours re-touching it.

I have used large sheet metal shears to cut PCB's which is quick, but it tends to curve the boards out of shape a little bit.

If you are making a large project like LC emu, then putting all the modules onto one board is the easiest way, but if you change the specifications later, then you may have to add more boards.

4x6" might only fit two modules if your lucky, but the modules are all different sizes, download the PCB files and print them out in eagle light to see how big they are, before ordering.

good luck!! ;)

i am just hard headed and want to do it all myself, as a challenge i suppose... i will be building the sid first, and will be making just the core and sid first, adding controls and lcds as my busy schedule and money allow, so while grouping onto one pcb may be better, it's not really such an option now.(though i suppose i could make the big pcb and just fill it in as needed....) also i don't have a panel design yet or know what parts i will be using for controls and lcd...

thanks for the tips.. and i may decide to order the premade ones anyway, for this first project and try making my own later...