Question about hooking up KS0107/KS0108 GLCD

grizz

Thanks Tk.... That verifies that I have had it hooked up properly... the orientation of the notch is correct on my board. Its weird that it works with SDA and Vd, but maybe I am seeing the result of just CS1 being hooked up properly.

I'll test J28 with my friends Oscilloscope when he brings it over. In the meantime, I'll take apart my SEQ v4 and hook  the GLCD up to that and see if it works with the stm32 board. I'll compare how the GLCD behaves with each board and see what I find out.

Cheers,

Alex

Edited by grizz

I just tried it out and it doesn't work, so it must be something I'm missing on my end... I've quadruple checked my connections, so I'm going to focus on learning MB_NG... My first task is making the scs encoder scroll correctly with my 2x16 clcd so that I can see the last 4 characters of the menus... so far no luck, but I WILL figure it out ;)

Thanks for the help

alex

• 3 weeks later...

Update: WIth the latest release (v1.017) of midibox_NG the GLCD works properly!!! :phone:  Now I have to teach myself how to set it up so that it displays information aligned correctly. If anyone has any links to a tutorial or something I'd be grateful...

Cheers,

Alex

Cool! :smile:

This is a nice demo how GLCD fonts can be handled: http://svnmios.midibox.org/filedetails.php?repname=svn.mios32&path=%2Ftrunk%2Fapps%2Fcontrollers%2Fmidibox_ng_v1%2Fcfg%2Ftests%2Fglcd1306.ngc

But you've to consider, that the two displays are combined to a single GLCD (in this .ngc file SSD1306 based displays are used which are addressed differently).

This means, that the first display starts at 1:1:1, and the second at 1:21:1 (and not at 2:1:1)

Reference for the different format specifiers which are used by this .ngc file: http://www.ucapps.de/midibox_ng_manual_ngc.html

(search for "glcd")

Best Regards, Thorsten.

I've been doing some experimenting, and I have a few questions:

1. "This means, that the first display starts at 1:1:1, and the second at 1:21:1"

This applies to the GLCD I am using, correct?

2. When I load NGC files text starts halfway across the LCD and continues over to the first half. This seems to be abnormal to me. For example, in the default .NGC file the "Ready" text should start at the left of the LCD, but instead it starts halfway. If I use &b "Ready" bleeds over to the left side of the screen. Isn't this reversed? I'm not sure if I'm missing something very basic here.

Cheers,

Alex

1. "This means, that the first display starts at 1:1:1, and the second at 1:21:1"

This applies to the GLCD I am using, correct?

not really ;-)

you are only using a single GLCD with two CS lines, right? Then the comment about the cursor position isn't relevant.

2. When I load NGC files text starts halfway across the LCD and continues over to the first half. This seems to be abnormal to me. For example, in the default .NGC file the "Ready" text should start at the left of the LCD, but instead it starts halfway. If I use &b "Ready" bleeds over to the left side of the screen. Isn't this reversed? I'm not sure if I'm missing something very basic here.

Could it be that the two CS lines are swapped?

Best Regards, Thorsten.

:rolleyes: The CS lines were indeed swapped. I did have them hooked up properly though, so maybe the datasheet for my GLCD is wrong. It is a lot easier to learn how to program it with the CS lines hooked up properly... Thanks TK!!

Cheers,
Alex