NG, Seq V4 or somthing else for Sega Gen

yogi

Hi

So over at ChipMusic.org, Littlescale's GenMDM Midi interface for the Sega is getting into the hands of users ( I'm on the second run, YEA). In anticipation for when I have mine, I'm planning on a CS of some sort for PC free ops. I'm wanting to update to the modern world of 32b, so this seems like the project to jump start me. Just got a OM13000.

The Interface just bridges midi to the Sega (running a custom kernel). Littlerscale has produced some great M4L patches to integrate with Ableton Live as well as standalone MAX patches, also there is an upcoming VSTi by Aly James. So the DAW end is well served (but I'm kind of restricted to an old copy of Live Lite ATM and not a DAW power user).

I'm lik'en the buttons and knobs better then a mouse so I guess what I'm thinking of is somewhat like a MBFM synth engine with no OPL, just Midi. Is the NG the right direction? Or would a Seq V4 be a better fit? Any thoughts?

I've been doing PIC asm for a while now (some 8051, Z80 and 6502 back in the day) and a little C coding (CCS and MicroChip C30 lately). I'm no wiz, but if I bang on the keys long enough sometimes things work ;)

I was thinking along the lines of using an existing projects. The interface maps all the FM and PSG pram values to CCs, so the basic concept wouldn't be much different then sending patches to a synth module (but no internal storage, all patches and effects would be outside the interface). A simple CS and keyboard would work I think, but I would love to see some of the great features of your synth engine also. Eptheca is currently working on an integrated MB64 CS/Nomad/genMDM interface all-in-one synth, very cool. 

I know that NG is still evolving and I'm not clear if it a general purpose CS,  to be configured/expanded for user's HUI projects; or can it be more of a synth front end or would the Seq V4 fits that bill better?  

If the module is only accessible via MIDI, the synth engine of MBFM wouldn't really help, because it needs direct access to the sound registers for fast updates.

So - if you are searching for a CS, MBNG would be the preferred choice because of the much higher flexibility compared to old PIC based controllers.

MBSEQ V4 would be a good choice, if you would like to focus on sequencer functions. But the complexity of this project is much higher.

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Thanks TK, for your comments and all you do. I know my questions are very 'un-focused', just having a hard time defining what I want to accomplish without having any hands-on with the interface. I think the 'dream' list of general features would be real time and automated control of registers, filtering and effects to notes, song and patch management/sequencing. In essences, many of the features found in most DAWs. I might be over reaching with my expectations, and in the long run a laptop may be a wiser choice.

I am thinking that the Seq V4 is probably closer to the type of control that I would like to have; maybe with add CS elements. I do know that I need more research on the YM2413 and the Gen/MDM's CC assignments. :) Thanks again.