MB router code for Midi to COM interface

yogi

Hi, wanted to build a simple Serial to midi interface. I would love to use a GM5, but  this is for a old PC running Win98SE ( a modded I-Opener) with a dedicated purpose of running old tracker softs. There is no way to upgrade to a true SB gameport; no ISA or PCI connectors. The mobo does have USB but Win98 doesn't support Class Compliant USBMidi. I've tried a 'no name' USB midi, NO GO, (even tried to force it to use Yahama driver but got BSOD). And polytech  GM5 driver won't install (had to try!) Perhaps there is a work around with the GM5? But a sane person would just use XP or >

So a M-Audio midisport 1x1 with their Win98 USB driver may work, but a serial or parallel port midi interface (Midiman PC/S ) is sure to work, these may be a better choice due to 98's USB support, timing-wise.

So this bring me to my questions about MB Router as a Serial to Midi interface. If I set the default interface to 'COM' and edit the code to only one IIC Midi interface, how much more should I comment out? No need for DIN or DOUT, nor filtering, do I need to comment out these unused sections, even thou they won't be called? 

I know that this is a REALLY old code base and much better options out there, but it's a retro thing ;)

Edited by yogi

With a bit of luck the Korg driver will work under Win98, which would be a good replacement for the non-working GM5 driver: http://www.korg.co.uk/downloads/driver/dl_driver.asp

If you really want to go for the MIDI Router: there is no need to comment out the DIN/DOUT/LCD/etc. sections, because they won't be called during runtime if no DIN shift register is connected.

Best Regards, Thorsten.

I will try the Korg driver; I remember reading other posts referring to problems with support for GM5 (couldn't recall the exact driver, why I tried the Yahama one). At one point, awhile ago, we talked about  using  diff drivers with a STM32 and a HP laptop; then the lappy died due to the PSU board!

If you really want to go for the MIDI Router: there is no need to comment out the DIN/DOUT/LCD/etc. sections, because they won't be called during runtime if no DIN shift register is connected.

That is good to hear, hadn't built up a circuit yet, but thought that might be the case. I'll plow ahead if the Korg fix doesn't work. 

TNK again, Yogi