quicktimes on mac/PC and codecs?

Steven_C

Hi, reguarding .mov...

I've been trying for about 18 months to figure out how to get quicktimes created on a mac to work on a PC, and it has been driving me crazy! They open, but not in Logic audio (pc), which I need to be able to do for an assignment. I got it to work on my old PC, just today,  (but it jerks too much for me to sync audio) but it won't work on my newer powerful PC. :-/ (this is after I have imported and exported out of "Quick editor" trying to translate the file or something????.....)

I've been trying to find 'codecs' to install, but the ones I've tried don't seem to do anything.

Can anyone shed some light on this, or tell me a good place to find the info I need?

Heya Steven_C!

Windows media player and it's associated files will cause Quicktime not to work properly on a PC.  This is part of the big M$ lawsuits happening now in the US and other parts of the world.

Send me a private email about this with more info on the setup(s), Logic version, OS versions, codecs used, etc. and I'll send you some test files to try made with different codecs.  (After the weekend though, I have a full weekend of patch snake building and bodywork on the Trans Am ahead of me)  :)

We'll get you fixed up!

Smash

Hey Smash!

Thanks for the reply!!

That stuff about M$ sounds interesting! I have respect for Bill Gates 'cos he gives heaps of money to needy causes, but both Apple and M$ give me the ***** with their nasty tactics at the expense of their customers...

one day I will learn to use Linux!!

anyway I got around the problem!!

I converted the .mov into an .avi, and the best codec was one of the indeo codecs by intel! The file is small, whilst playing back smoothly, and at reasonable quality for syncing sound to pictures :)

It's strange that I can open .mov's on PC using the Quicktime player, but Logic can't handle it. (Cubasis VST can though!)

Anyway, I think I understand codecs now, am I right to assume that sometimes they are handled by the codecs installed on the machine, and sometimes they are handled by the software that is playing it??

anyway, thanks again, from Steve :)

Trans-Am eh? we only get to see them in movies over here in Oz!

Anyway, I think I understand codecs now, am I right to assume that sometimes they are handled by the codecs installed on the machine, and sometimes they are handled by the software that is playing it??
Yes!  It's that way on both platforms.  Some of the older Mac software I use for multitrack audio will not play a movie file made with some of the newest or high end codecs (like Sorenson MPEG), forcing a conversion to do audio editing for video.  It's not usually an issue though, you need correct timing not video playback quality when doing that type of work.  :)
Trans-Am eh? we only get to see them in movies over here in Oz!
They are almost that rare here too, mine is a 1981 without T-tops and all black (no screaming chicken on the hood).  It took me forever to find a black TransAm that did not look like the Smokey and the Bandit cars.  :)

Have fun!

Smash