Am I out of luck for this life?

Guest Zzzz...

Guest Zzzz...

Hello,

I eventually didn't wan't to post anything, but since i've being working on this for a week orso....to get MIOS running and still wasn't and am able to do this, i was getting so frustrated that i had to...

I know your all busy and know that am probably bothering you as newbie with totally stupid questions, that are really not relevant to you...But before i ask you for help, i had a five day look on the forum.

I found one other post of this problem but the solution was not givin'.

What I have is 5 core's and 4 Pic's of 18F452.

I thought i burned the MIOS_bootstrap_loader on all 4 pics... and was able to sysex to the Pic.

Well...not....

I have the LCD (2x20) connected and it's only giving the black blocks on the first row...

But there should appear the upload sysexstring "FO....." of Mios, am i right?

Since this wasn't working and I tested each Pic on each core, and not one was sending the command to MidiOx. (or Midiox wasn't getting any command).

I configured this and which seem to be ok.

* following the guidelines for MidiOX (everything checked ten thousand  times or more),  

* checking the midi-in with the LED-test,

* three doubling checking the circuit of

all core's for some short-circuits or failure's in the PCB/parts,

* by some failure's i did some reassembling...in the proper way.

* checking the voltages givin' for the core.  

* doing a physical loop on my midi-interface...

So i thought i had to problems with the bootstrap loader, so put PIC for Pic in the JDM programmer and tried again...the verification worked and the device was said to be burned "succesfully". But still nothing would disappear in MidiOX or the LCD, roulating each pic on each core.

So went again searching for the problem of the JDM-programmer added the resistor (for the 18 F452, 10k pin 31 and pin 38) and the powersupply and burnt "succesfully", verified and all. Nothing again in MidiOX and the LCD.

I used the JDM on win98, winME, winXP, but none of them seemed to burn the proper Bootstrap_loader....with all different conditions, tried by following the forum or page's of MIOS.

But something is happened when i burned,because I get different config'id's then the original bootstrap_hex.file has in the IC-prog, although the checksum stays the same and when you compare them (the buffers) it's also the same.

Is this coincedence (with 5 core's and 4 Pic's) or is this normal way of coping with problems...??

If somebody has a clue, I really would like to hear some feedback or some additional help to this...Like how do i check the Midi-out on the core...., although i don't think this the problem, although ellimate this for sure...makes the tree of possible errors smaller...distilating the real cause...

I know this is a bit long text, but i did it because, I really am confused...

Somebody....please..??

Thank you for your precious time and the will to listen to me....

Grtz  Erik.

Hi

The sysex string does not appear on the LCD it appears in the midiox monitor window when you turn power up.

The blocks on the LCD could be OK, you know you have to send the mios within 2 seconds of power on aye?

Once MIOS is loaded then the LCD comes to life it should say "ready."

If the JDM says verified all should be OK for the bootstrap

I found that sometimes you must send the MIOS more than once? dont know why?

LO

Guest Zzzz...

Hello...

Problem solved, gonna explain further on what exactly was wrong...or so....

First of all thanks for your advice you gave me...

To Captain Hastings:

Try to rule out that it is your midi interface that is giving you problems. I had a problem with my SBLive and kx drivers: http://www.midibox.org/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=troubleshooting;actio n=display;num=1061838430

I saw this article before and ruled out the possibility by doing a physical loop on my Midi-Interface...but thanks....would have been bad if this would had happened with my interface...it's brandnew ;)

To LO

The sysex string does not appear on the LCD it appears in the midiox monitor window when you turn power up.

You're right....this I didn't know...so thought the bootstrap loader had some problems...but not...it worked...

The blocks on the LCD could be OK, you know you have to send the mios within 2 seconds of power on aye?

I did know this and do this but nothing happened then....

Once MIOS is loaded then the LCD comes to life it should say "ready."

If the JDM says verified all should be OK for the bootstrap

I found that sometimes you must send the MIOS more than once? dont know why?

That's also what helped me.. by sending two or three times, made my display say "ready"....

But beside that i also changed my optocoupler 6N138 by a 6N139 optocoupler...and this one did the magic trick....quite strange....

while the 6N139 is a flipped version of the 6N138 ....Although i read somewhere these were better...and more reliable....and it did work...by me...don't know why....don't have my midi-inputcables flipped...or so ;) ....

Only this left me with a minor problem....My LCD is working (a displaytech LCD202A - 2 X 20 characters) and the left side has less textcontrast than the right side of the text......"Ready" i can not see clearly or real good but if T.Klose appears (at the right) i can clearly read that....that's real black to me....Is it broken?

Because changing the pots didn't help....did help with the contrast...but not with the left and rightsided contrast.....

Looked already in the datasheet...but couldn't find anything about....this...problem....

Anyone.... ???

Thanks for your support, Captain Hastings and LO.

I'm glad, i'm able to rumble...now...

Best Greetz....

Zzzz...    Erik