Assigning ^section and ^value from a control

Duggle

I cannot work out from the written description, or find an example of what I would like to do:

To trigger a RunSection from a button,

with ^section selected by the position of an encoder 

with ^value set by another encoder.

The usecase is to choose an audition phrase (^section) and then vary the velocity of note ons with another control. Perhaps ^value is not right for this because it gets set once prior to RunSection entry?

Can I somehow dynamically change the note on velocity while the phrase is playing?

Thanks

The usecase is to choose an audition phrase (^section) and then vary the velocity of note ons with another control.

Instead of ^value, you could retrieve a value also from a (id) or (hw_id), e.g. (id)ENC:1

Can I somehow dynamically change the note on velocity while the phrase is playing?

In the example above: yes, with the first encoder.

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Ok, thanks, but how do I assign the ^section variable from an encoder? 

I see plenty examples of static RunSection assignments from pushbuttons but no examples of assigning this value from an encoder?

[edit] I suppose I can do my own ^section equivalent by reading the 1st encoder to determine what code get executed (i.e case switch) and the 2nd to determine the velocity. I need to take care of what happens if the 1st encoder is changed during execution etc.

Edited by Duggle

I'm trying this:

EVENT_ENC id= 67 hw_id= 67 fwd_to_lcd=1 type=Meta meta=RunSection:20 if_equal=0 range=0:3  enc_speed_mode=Slow:7 label="^c3_10"  
EVENT_ENC id= 671 hw_id= 67 fwd_to_lcd=1 type=Meta meta=RunSection:21 if_equal=1 range=0:3  enc_speed_mode=Slow:7 label="^c3_11"  
EVENT_ENC id= 672 hw_id= 67 fwd_to_lcd=1 type=Meta meta=RunSection:22 if_equal=2 range=0:3  enc_speed_mode=Slow:7 label="^c3_12"  
EVENT_ENC id= 673 hw_id= 67 fwd_to_lcd=1 type=Meta meta=RunSection:23 if_equal=3 range=0:3  enc_speed_mode=Slow:7 label="^c3_13"  

The different labels are printed so it seems the encoder coupling is working, but the RunSection(s) are not being executed at all. 

[edit]

The above produces the following debug output:

[11392.515] MBNG_ENC_NotifyChange(67, -1)
[11392.515] [EVENT] id=ENC:67 hw_id=ENC:67 bank=0 fwd_id=DISABLED:0 type=Meta value=2 label=^c3_10
[11392.515] [EVENT] id=ENC:671 hw_id=ENC:67 bank=0 fwd_id=DISABLED:0 type=Meta value=2 label=^c3_11
[11392.517] [EVENT] id=ENC:672 hw_id=ENC:67 bank=0 fwd_id=DISABLED:0 type=Meta value=2 label=^c3_12
[11392.517] [EVENT] id=ENC:673 hw_id=ENC:67 bank=0 fwd_id=DISABLED:0 type=Meta value=2 label=^c3_13
Edited by Duggle

if_equal won't work this way, because each EVENT_ENC stores it's own value!

It isn't possible to copy the value into ^section from a meta event, but the question is: why do you really need this?

Why not using RunSection:20, and then in your .NGR file:

if ^section == 20 then
   if    ENC:67 == 0 then
   elsif ENC:67 == 1 then
   elsif ENC:67 == 2 then
   else
   endif
endif

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Thank for the suggestion TK, I was about to try something like this. I'll post back with what I find.

if_equal won't work this way, because each EVENT_ENC stores it's own value!

The label from the EVENT_ENC that matches the value is being printed, for each position of the encoder. Doesn't that mean that if_equal condition is being met? If so then why is the meta not executed?

I'm having very unexpected behaviour!

if ^section == 4
 if    ENC:67 == 0 
  LCD "@(24:1:1)VAL0"
  delay_ms 1000
 elsif ENC:67 == 1 
  LCD "@(24:1:1)VAL1"
  delay_ms 1000
 elsif ENC:67 == 2 
  LCD "@(24:1:1)VAL2"
  delay_ms 1000
 else
  LCD "@(24:1:1)VAL3"
  delay_ms 1000
 endif
 if BUTTON:3 != 0
  exec_meta RunSection:4
 else 
  LCD "@(24:1:1)----"
 endif  
exit
endif

The control elements here:

#Audition phrase push on push off
EVENT_BUTTON id=3  fwd_id=LED:38 type=Meta  meta=RunSection:4  button_mode=Toggle

EVENT_ENC id= 67 hw_id= 67  range=0:3  enc_speed_mode=Slow:7 value=0 fwd_to_lcd=1 label="^c3_10"  

LABEL c3_10 "@(23:1:1)enc %3d"

Now when  ENC:67 is at value say 1, then Button 3 is pressed, the LCD display 24  shows "VAL1"..."VAL2"..."VAL3".."VAL1".."VAL2"..etc (with 1 sec pause between changes)

When Button 3 is released the display counts up to VAL3 again then finally rests on "----"

When  ENC:67 is at value 2, and Button 3 is in active state, the LCD display 24  shows "VAL2"..."VAL3"..."VAL2"..etc (with 1 sec pause between changes)

The label display for the encoder is steady and correct.

It seems the value of ENC:67 read by the script is unstable like incrementing with rollover, between the selected and maximum value?

So far, so good.

I've set up an "Audition Panel" which gives control #1 Phrase,  #2 Note, #3 Velocity1, #4 Velocity2, #5 Tempo.

A toggle mode pushbutton activates the phrase while down.

This executes an "Entry" section where the beginnings of non repeating phrases happens (held notes and chords).

It then jumps to another section where cyclic (looped) phrases happen.

It is possible to freely turn the encoders to change any variable while it plays.

I plan to use conditionals to control what the parameters do according to the Phrase selection to consolidate to only 4 encoders.

Velocity1 and Velocity2 gives control over the velocities of up to 2 groups of notes in a phrase.

The worst thing that can happen is the odd stuck note as there is no way to guarantee every note on has an off. This really isn't an issue because the exit of all phrases when the button is toggled off is AllNotesOff CC. 

Not in any way necessary, but would be "nice to have" features for the NGR: 

Be able to ADD the value off a control to a constant.

This has the following uses:

• Modify (shift) the velocities of a phrase (that has a variety of base velocities in it)

• Transpose the note values of a phrase (that has a variety of notes values in it)

Also if there was a simple statement to block (and unblock)  the reading of new values. Would be used while a note is "down" that would prevent stuck notes before they happen.