Working with SCS Var(iable)s

Duggle

I just realised the SCS section of the manual talks about Var(iable) in regard to their use in Sysex dumps.

This is very cool. But would it (or could it) be possible to introduce a similar concept that works with general control settings?

I think the main usecase for myself is to implement a channel change. This would affect all CC controllers as well as the output of NGR audition sections.

Later on, further down the track, I'd like to work with synth multi's where I would potentially be wanting to simultaneously change groups of controls to different channels. E.g setup multiple "channel strip" where I'm adjusting a group of  paramters on say four channels at the same time, then activate a control and be working on another group of channels. I know that "banks" provide some of this functionality. I think I'm hitting the wall with memory limitations: I'm at 77% with just 1 channel. 

I was hoping to trigger a sysex dump when the channel is changed to update all controls with the new channel/synth states.

One more thing: Is it, or will it be possible to change NGC (and NGR) from the SCS?

I think the main usecase for myself is to implement a channel change. This would affect all CC controllers as well as the output of NGR audition sections.

This is on the TODO list (global MIDI channel).

Problem: I'm sure that there will be people who don't want to change the channel for all events, but only for selected events.

Therefore the best choice to provide such an option will still need some thinking about the most elegant way.

Later on, further down the track, I'd like to work with synth multi's where I would potentially be wanting to simultaneously change groups of controls to different channels. E.g setup multiple "channel strip" where I'm adjusting a group of  paramters on say four channels at the same time, then activate a control and be working on another group of channels.

So, conditional changes...

wouldn't it be better to provide a .NGR command for changing a channel of an event (e.g. "set_midi_chn <id> <channel>")

And to allow to execute this command with a given ^section and ^value from the SCS?

Then you could setup a special ^section branch, which passes the ^value to the set_midi_chn commands.

One more thing: Is it, or will it be possible to change NGC (and NGR) from the SCS?

scroll to the right, DISK->LOAD

So, conditional changes...

wouldn't it be better to provide a .NGR command for changing a channel of an event (e.g. "set_midi_chn <id> <channel>")

And to allow to execute this command with a given ^section and ^value from the SCS?

Then you could setup a special ^section branch, which passes the ^value to the set_midi_chn commands.

This sounds great! I'd use it. It looks as though it could be used for global change if it was called for every <id>. Very flexible.