MBCV2 Questions

Hi gang,

I'm trying to use MBCV2 and am having some problems. The firmware seems to be uploaded OK, as MIOSStudio reports MidiboxCV as a USB device.

I'm using an original AOUT, it was previously tested and working fine with my STM32 based MBSeqV4.

I am connected to the LPC core running MBCV2 via USB and have set the Lemur daemon to route the MidiboxCV MIDI device to Lemur in and out 0. Communication from Lemur on iPad seems to be working OK, i.e. I can change settings on the different CV channels and the surface updates - so communication seems to be working.

My basic test is to make sure I'm on CV channel 1, set the LFO amplitude to max, then the -> CV to max. I would expect to see CV on output 1 of the AOUT, but so far nothing.

I'm not sure if:

MBCV2 needs a hardware config file on the SD Card ala MBseq to configure the type of AOUT settings etc?

MBCV2 is OK with just the USB MIDI connection or if Ethernet is required for full OSC communication?

Thanks in advance for any help

• 2 weeks later...

I spent some more time testing this today, here's an update:

I have added an SDCard and also tried with Ethernet.

I have recompiled, made sure I chose the correct processor and updated to the latest bootloader.

No change to MBCV behaviour.

I have uploaded MBSeq v4.77 and can run the caliout tests successfully, I get the correct voltage on every pin of the AOUT. Also ran the testaoutpin commands to check the connections are OK, everything passes fine.

When I upload MBCV to the LPC core board, MIOS terminal shows me:

And I tried to run the caliout test with MBCV uploaded and nothing on the AOUT pins. So my conclusion is that the hardware setup is good, something is weird with the software.

Current questions:

Is there some way to choose exactly which AOUT module to use?

Could anyone verify that my method of testing in the first post is correct? If not can anyone provide a simple example of how to create a MBCV2 patch that will for sure generate voltage from an AOUT pin?

Dave

Hi Dave,

I'm surprised, because when no SD Card is connected, the (MAX525) based AOUT module is selected by default.

Please have a look into the DEFAULT.CV2 file (you can open it with the MIOS Filebrowser).

Under "Misc Configuration" you will find the AOUT_Type, which has to be set to AOUT:

# Misc. Configuration
AOUT_Type;AOUT

Sidenote: AOUT_NG users would set it to:

# Misc. Configuration
AOUT_Type;AOUT_NG

After this change, enter "load default" in the MIOS Terminal to load the changed setup

Could anyone verify that my method of testing in the first post is correct?

Yes, it should work this way!

a MBCV2 patch that will for sure generate voltage from an AOUT pin?

You could enter following commands into the MIOS Terminal to set a AOUT pin:

caliaout 1 middle

caliaout 1 max

caliaout 1 min

caliaout off

I just have tested this at my side - it (still) works. :smile:

Btw.: if you have a SCS (Standard Control Surface with 2x20 LCD, 1 encoder and 6 buttons), you could also test the calibration from in the AOUT page

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Hello Thorsten,
Thanks a lot for the info. I will check the things you mentioned this evening when I'm back by the hardware. One other thing I noticed is that when I run MBCV2, the MIOSStudio terminal shows this:

[ 284.417] Init DHCP
[ 284.517] [network_device_init] PHY initialized

and then constantly displays messages like this:

[ 286.420] 144 uS (max: 163 uS)
[ 287.421] 139 uS (max: 152 uS)
[ 288.423] 140 uS (max: 152 uS)

Is that correct? Does it mean that I also have to use the Ethernet connection?

Thanks

Dave

Hi Dave,

no, an ethernet connection is not required. The first message just only tells you, that it would be ready...

The timing informations which are displayed each second are only for benchmarking purposes.

You could disable it by changing

#define STOPWATCH_PERFORMANCE_MEASURING 0

in app.cpp

Best Regards, Thorsten.

• 2 weeks later...

Please have a look into the DEFAULT.CV2 file (you can open it with the MIOS Filebrowser).

Under "Misc Configuration" you will find the AOUT_Type, which has to be set to AOUT:

# Misc. Configuration
AOUT_Type;AOUT

Bingo, this was the solution for me. Thanks a million TK! FYI, my default.cv2 file had this parameter blank. Editing the file and rebooting the MBCV was enough to get it working :D

Expect some demo noises from MBCV2 soon....

Dave