Upgrade or keep V4L (For BLM)

diwib

Hio,

I'm considering upgrading my V4L into a full blown V4 (If that's possible?) to use a BLM along with it. Before I do that though, I'd like to know just how limited a V4L+BLM combo would be. What features exactly would I be missing? All I could gather was that the V4L has 64 steps instead of 128 and I'm stuck with presets, rather than editing my own effects. If that's all, besides the obvious lack of displays, I could happily live with that, at least in case I can use the BLM to make up for the displays.

These things I'm missing out on, could that maybe be circumvented by just squeezing a Seq V4 firmware into the V4L or modify the V4L firmware in a way to allow for unrestricted BLM use? As I understand it the V4L is just a V4 with a different control surface and when using a BLM the Seq core is all that matters. Say, I take away the Control board populated with encoders and 2 displays and stuff, what will I have left? Something that's clearly still a V4 or could it just as well be a V4L?

I'd prefer if I could turn my V4L into a V4 with alternative controls just by adding the BLM since sadly, instructions to build a V4 are spread all over the place and it's damn hard trying to figure what a V4 might cost afterall.

Maybe I'm spoiled by how well/simple Mutable Instruments builds are organized but I think a single google spreadsheet partslist (with seperated sections for core/panel parts) for Midibox builds would do newbies some good. :x

And another question regarding the BLM: It's been 3 years since someone wanted to design a PCB. Has that happened? Who could i poke for .brd files, as Midiboxers seem to stick with pdfs and jpgs which are of little use to me?  :sad:  Heck, I can't even find a manual for what all those buttons do, especially since there's a shift button ^.^

Edit: Okay found the PCB in the farthest corner of this website...link

And I tried using that Mac-kinda looking BLM emulator with my V4L after I updated it. But without success, nothing happens on any of the buttons, I tried setting the V4L to slave and master. Why could that be?

Edit 2: Nvm, figured everything out :p

Edited by diwib

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

you wrote this posting some time ago, and I guess that you found the answer to some questions already in the forum.

Which questions are still open?

Btw.: the BLM emulation is the best way to find out what's (and how it's) working.

In order to enable the communication, you've to edit the MBSEQ_GC.V4 file with the MIOS filebrowser based editor.

E.g. set

BLM_SCALAR_Port 18

to enable BLM communication for the MIDI port USB3

Thereafter enter "reset" into MIOS Terminal to restart MBSEQ V4L and to load the changed configuration.

Best Regards, Thorsten.