Medium cost midibox

Guest alexsmith944

Guest alexsmith944

HI there!

I recently came upon the midibox site and kick myself everyday for not discovering this dreamproject earlier. :P

I want to orient mine towards a fruity scratcher automating Scratchdeck (with other vsti controls).therefore, I don't need all 64 butts and pots.

The low-cost MB suggests only 16pots and no buttons.

Will my midi box work if I have only say 2 or 3 multiplexers per AIN, and only one digital input shift register soldered to my DINx4? I was also wondering if one can find pots that spin and spin around, resetting on every lap(cool for scratching). Thanks in advance!!

-Alex ::)

I was also wondering if one can find pots that spin and spin around, resetting on every lap(cool for scratching).

My suggestion is to use a rotary encoder and alter the output in firmware (if your up for some code tweeking ;)).

I dont know anything about scratching but using this method you could come up with many more taper patterns than just wrap around.

A recent post regarding reversing the direction of an encoder provides clues as to where to do the manipulation.

cheers

contact the fruityloops tech support, (assuming you are a registered user) and check that you can control the fruity scratcher with an encoder. Sometimes they are slack at responding, so if they don't reply, then put a question up on the 'looptalk' forum.

in the mean time, if I remember how to use the general purpose mode on the LC, I will chack it myself ;)

Guest alexsmith944

Hello!

Thanks for the feedback!

I actually never scratched a record untill I accidently automated fruity scratcher with the mod wheel (pot) of my midi keyboard. Its quite amazing how cool it can sound after a little practise (ideal for trip hop etc..).

Anyway, after a little thought, I came the conclusion that a pot is the ultimate way, because fruity scratcher will only work well with a short sample, therefore, on more than a 70° spin. I think i'm going to cut a vinyl up and have it come out of a corner of my "miditchyscratchybox" ;D

Here is an idea:

scra.jpg

Maybe someone will include one on his midibox?

I really suggest you guys try mapping that scratcher to a pot or mod wheel, because if not usefull, it really is PHUN!  ::)

-Alex

hey domas, I'm sure traktor is very cool, but its also expensive! (I have already spent all my money on logic and my diy midiboxes!)

We can fix that, we have the technology ;)

on a more serious note though, surely if fruity scratcher responds to a pot it is working off the midi cc?

as a workaround if the encoder isn't working directly in, couldn't you set up midiox as a sitbetween and send the incoming signal from the encoder to midiox then route the cc down a soft midi port and into fruity?

Traktor with an encoder would blow you away compared to fruity with a pot if you tried it.

ooops, forgot to mention.

This came out recently which I doubt you'd want to buy as you're here but may give you some ideas for a good scratchy midibox.

http://www.hothardware.com/hh_files/S&V/djconsole.shtml

Well I linked the encoder to the scratcher, but it would only recognise two positions, hard left, or 50%. All the other knobs do the same, but I'm sure I've used this encoder in FL before, so either I'm daydreaming, or I've missed an option in one of the dialogs or something.

soft midi ports and stuff? These days I'm too impatient to try all these workarounds! (too many other things on my mind) Either it does it or it dosen't!  :P